Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

KM Awards...

Article about: Due to condition, CA badge £70-£80, Destroyer badge £85-£95. I believe both are good, but best wait for other replies to be sure!! Regards, Ned.

Default KM Awards...

Hello folks, here we go a plea for assistance!

A colleague at work brought a box of 3R items into work to show me the other day, they had belonged to his Father in Law who unfortunately died recently and the house is now being cleared. He knew I had an interest in militaria etc and so he hoped I could help him ID them and get a rough idea of value. I've ID'd (most of) them okay but I've really no idea as to the value so I could do with a little help please and thanks! The ones in this post are three KM badges, I'll post the others later in different threads.
    I've looked on assorted websites to see what sort of prices they are going for but they are not really much help as they vary wildly and I'm more interested in the sort of price he would be likely to make in say an auction or a private sale not some over inflated dealers price. I'm just looking for a rough idea, don't have to be exact, nore to stop someone trying to rip him off more than anything else and to make sure he gets a decent price for them (not wanting some smart arse to say to him it's only worth twenty quid when in reality he would be more likely to get ninety quid sort of thing!).
    Anyhow, another of the drivel and onto the KM badges. There are three of them, a Minesweeper, Destroyer and Coastal Artillery. I'm not really into them at all but as best I can tell they all seem the real deal? Apologies for the dodgy photo's, taken in bad light, some with and some without flash.

First up is the Minesweeper Badge, maker marked RK
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KM Awards...   KM Awards...  

KM Awards...   KM Awards...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KM Awards...
    P
    Many

Default Re: KM Awards...

Next one, a Coastal Artillery Badge, maker marker FLL 43.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KM Awards...   KM Awards...  

KM Awards...  

Destroyer badge, maker marked JFS.

KM Awards...  

The R.K. Minensuchkriegsabzeichen is in pretty good condition. I just won a very similar one in an auction for 100 dollars USD. I would say that a good price for it would be around $150-$200 USD.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    The R.K. Minensuchkriegsabzeichen is in pretty good condition. I just won a very similar one in an auction for 100 dollars USD. I would say that a good price for it would be around $150-$200 USD.
    Mo's right, and on the money too....£100-£125 I reckon.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

There we go folks! Just to add, the badges are all Zinc versions and have started to suffer a little bit (Zinc pest?) and some of the gilding has gone.

While I'm at it there were some other KM items so I may as well post them in here too and you can have a gander at them and see what you think and also maybe have a guess as to a rough value of the stuff so I can pass it on.

Next one is a Blockade Breaker stick pin, not sure if it is maker marked in anyway or not as I just left it in the paper it was stuck in so couldn't really see.

Not sure what this one is, obviously KM, looks like it could be a shell so something to do with Coastal Art. or Gunnery? I'm not sure where the badge would be worn - shoulder straps, collar?

?

The Minesweeper is a Rudolf Karneth in zinc. An unusual pin, I've not come across one with a ridge down the middle before and I'm curious about the damage to the eagle's wing. Is it a manufacturing defect or has it been damaged? Otherwise I think it is an original and I would price it at around £90-£120 these are a common badge and maker.

The FLL Coastal badge again is in zinc and has suffered some obvious paint loss. Nevertheless I believe it to be original and would estimate the value to be between £150-£200.

The JFS Destroyer is an original zinc badge which has lost the finish to the centre design and some loss to the wreath. There is some zinc pest apparent which could be treated with vaseline to prevent it becming much worse. Not the most common maker but the condition lets it down and my estimate would be around £200.

Values are subjective and some may disagree with the price ranges I've stated above but I believe them to be fair private sale prices.

You never know, you might get some offers here on the forum or you could put them up for sale in the section at the bottom if your friend is serious about selling.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Some cap thingys from around the cap (can't think of the proper name at the moment - cap tally or something?).

One is a wartime KM one without the ship or whatever's identity. It's a full size one but has been cut just after the KM lettering rather than at the join which might devalue it somewhat?
    The other one is 'Kreuzer Medusa' which after some Google work it turns out to be a light cruiser from 1901 and was converted (and the name changed but I can't remember to what now) to a Flak Ship in 1940. So I guess this would date this to prior to 1940.

Right, I'll leave it there for now, there is a couple of more things (nowt startling though) but I'll give you a rest for now!

Many thanks for the help so far - I'll pass the info on!

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast