Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie . Good or fake?

Article about: I have just received "Vernon's Collectors' Guide" from the library. There he writes about Copies, Fakes & Reproductions: "There is a controversy over the letters RS wich i

Default Re: Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie . Good or fake?

I have just received "Vernon's Collectors' Guide" from the library. There he writes about Copies, Fakes & Reproductions:

"There is a controversy over the letters RS wich indicate the marker Rudolf Souval of Vienna Austria. One may see two types of letters, one rounded, and one angular. There is a difference of opinion as to which is on genuine material. I must emphasize the mere appearance of a hallmark or number on a III Reich item is no guarantee of its being genuine, nor is the absence of such mean that you have a copy.

A final note on III Reich hallmarks. It is generally accepted that the mark of L/58 is an indication of the item being a post.World War II copy, of high quality perhaps, but a copy neverthless."

The confusion is the same, its just on a higher level
    Why make a copy without the needle? Why at all do swastika when the war was over? I keep it anyway, but are obviously curious about the story and its value.

Once more, thanks for helping me

Martin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Hi Martin, the info about the shape of the letters is WRONG. This is old info from out of date books which is now proven to be incorrect. Both lettering styles are wartime originals.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Yeah that makes since, because I was just reading up on this topic and both styles have been proven war time as Ade has said! Ade is always on top of things!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Martin, the info about the shape of the letters is WRONG. This is old info from out of date books which is now proven to be incorrect. Both lettering styles are wartime originals.

Cheers, Ade.
    I agree completely with Ade. Most of these books were written based on the information at the time. Since then new material and research has come to light to disprove alot of this old information. Forums such as this are the best place to read about and participate in new findings and discoveries. They are an ongoing source of reference and education.

L/58 stamps can be found on wartime and postwar products from Souval. It does not necessarily mean it is a postwar item. Souval items are always a little questionable because of the continued manufacture of awards after the end of hostilities. However, you should judge each item on it's own merits. I cannot say for certain that your badge is 100% wartime produced but I can say it compares well with other badges which are accepted to be so.
    The needle may have been broken off over time or it may have been acquired by whoever in an unfinished state. I have several awards without needles and all are genuine. Souval was/is an Austrian company and the swastika ban after the war wasn't an issue for them not being German. They were quick to latch onto the souvenir market and carried on producing their wares for the occupying troops using the same materials and method as they did prior to May 1945. They still make them to the present day as far as I'm aware...........?
    Bob Hritz is an invaluable source of information regarding Souval and has been in contact with wartime and postwar employees. Hopefully he will see this thread and can add to or correct anything I've posted.

?

Here are some different variants of Rudolf Souval of Vienna Austria "R.S." thanks to our good friend Detlev Niemann.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(5).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	124793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(6).jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	124794  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(7).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	124795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(8).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	124796  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(9).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	124797  

This is good news for me. The book is also 10 years old. I was told that some of the badge was stolen from German uniforms when my grandfather was imprisoned end of war in Horserød Camp. Maybe the story is true. After all It's a good story anyway. But he continued to gather medals and orders after the war, so I had some uncertainty about this one.

I know that Adrian is notorious here, so I better listen to him
    I promise to borrow new books next time I go to the Library, but the committee of foreign books is not as big here in Denmark.

I should have posted this under Adrian Stevensons thread on "Kriegsmarine Coastal Artillery War Badge / Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie" But I'm new in this forum and are messing around. Is it really not possible to delete a thread when you by mistake started it two places?

Martin
    Last edited by Martin DK; 07-27-2010 at 01:57 AM.

?

Quote by Martin DK View Post
    I was told that some of the badge was stolen from German uniforms when my grandfather was imprisoned end of war in Horserød Camp................

I know that Adrian is notorious here...............

I should have posted this under Adrian Stevensons thread on "Kriegsmarine Coastal Artillery War Badge / Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie" But I'm new in this forum and are messing around. Is it really not possible to delete a thread when you by mistake started it two places?
    That may account for the missing pin, could have been broken off when it was taken............

Which one..............?

It's fine to post individual badges for discussion as you have done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12