Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kriegsabzeichen fur den Marine Artillerie - Real or Fake

Article about: I am not sure how i feel about this one... what do you guys think? I am afraid half of the badges i found in my friends father's house are all old 70s-80s copies.

Rudolph Souval with replace pin and catch? Souval continued to produce badges for many years after the war, so, perhaps this is a post-war piece assembled with whatever hardware Souval had in the bin available?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsabzeichen fur den Marine Artillerie - Real or Fake
    P
    Many

Sorry, a soft lead cast copy taken from a real one. Look at the ( good photos BTW ) rear shot - the hinge and catch are cast, not soldered on separate pieces - typical 1970s repos.....

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I agree with Dan, a cast copy.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I've seen worse zinkers of these by Souval than This one...lol Just another reason why I never did trust anything with Souval's mark on it! Here's a good example borrowed from another forum:

Kriegsabzeichen fur den Marine Artillerie - Real or FakeKriegsabzeichen fur den Marine Artillerie - Real or Fake
    William

Thank you for the comments fellas! I have been trying to take better pictures, believe it or not these were taken with an iPhone 5. I just use white posterboard with two lamps pointed at the object, but for some reason it still yellowed out a bit. Also, a lot of these badges ive been taking pictures of leave grey/black streaks on the white paper(you can see this actually in the pictures.)...is this a sign of all lead cast badges? They are all definitley old, just old fakes. I hope there are some real ones in there somewhere.

Again, thank you! I am learning with every comment!

Also, thanks mods for changing my title to the correct title, i will be sure to do this next time,

Haydn

If you can Write with them, that's Not a Good sign! For good photos, I always try to take them outside in natural sunlight. Shooting inside can be tough!
    William

?

There is a pinned photo tips thread on the main TR Decorations forum.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Sorry, a soft lead cast copy taken from a real one. Look at the ( good photos BTW ) rear shot - the hinge and catch are cast, not soldered on separate pieces - typical 1970s repos.....

Dan
    Hi Guys,

I agree with Dan. Clearly a cast reproduction of a Souval. You can see the casting lines on the margins quite clearly, base metal is wrong and as Dan said the hardware is wrong and crudely cast as well.

In contrast, the one William posted is a correct Souval but with heavy wear and zinc pest. Since Souval carried merrily on with his production at the war's end, the best we can say about any Souval is whether it appears "wartime-compatible" or not, based on the finish and hardware. Even those that are "wartime compatible" could have been produced in the 50's and 60's and you just wouldn't know without iron-clad provenance. Thus anyone wanting an assuredly wartime piece would avoid Souval but there's still a market for them for the collector of badge variants or of post-war makers (but at lower prices of course).

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsabzeichen fur den Marine Artillerie - Real or Fake  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2