Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

View Poll Results: Is it KM or LW cloth DKiG?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kriegsmarine

0 0%
  • Luftwaffe

2 100.00%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review

Article about: Hello, I have recently bought what was supposed to be a cloth KM Deutsche Kreuz in Gold, but after it came and after I compared it to my previously-owned one I have some doubts that it might

Question Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review

Hello,

I have recently bought what was supposed to be a cloth KM Deutsche Kreuz in Gold, but after it came and after I compared it to my previously-owned one I have some doubts that it might be Luftwaffe instead of KM. I have asked elsewhere and posted much to think about, but with no sucess yet, so I would like the community here to judge it and help.

OK, let's go. Here is my former cloth KM Deutsche Kreuz in Gold and the one I have bought (on the sidecap, to show the difference from KM dark blue cloth).
    First one is not Panzer, as is clear from the third photo which clearly shows a lot of blue color (in hand it was obviously it's dark blue).

Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for reviewKriegsmarine cloth DKiG for reviewKriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review

I have never seen a light Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on any photo evidence, being worn on Kriegsmarine tunic.

Here is the seller's photo showing his DKiGs, with my piece having an arrow above.
    Luftwaffe is front left, to compare.
    Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review

In Torpedo Los book, there is a tunic with cloth Deutsche Kreuz in Gold, which is obviously not of different background color than the tunic:
    Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for reviewKriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review

So, I would like to know what do you guys think about it? Is it, based on your knowledge and experience, KM or a Luftwaffe piece?

Thanks to everyone in advance!!!

Andjelo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review
    P
    Many

?

My opinion based upon these photos would lean towards Luftwaffe.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The photographs make this a little hard to follow. The top two are the same cross photographed under different light correct? Therefore they both are your original KM cross and not under discussion as to what service they/it belong I assume? The cross being debated is only shown on the side cap and in the vendors pic, right?

Assuming that is correct, I would agree with Adrian that the new cross shown only on the side cap and in the group pic is definitely a Luftwaffe version.

I would also add that whilst the assured KM cross is a type 1 version, the new one is a type 2, going on the slight differences in the ray stitching being longer, although to be 100% sure better pic's of it close up are required to examine the silver thread construction of the rays and the wire framing the wreath.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Luftwaffe.

Every KM version I have seen with provenance including those coming directly from the original KM sailor, have been on very dark blue. There are several in the Deutsches UBoot Museum with direct provenance- all on very dark blue - the same colour cloth as KM uniforms.

Always possible that some soldiers wore a DK with the wrong colour backing, but I don't believe this one was intended for KM.

Big Ned, yes you're right with your description.

Thanks guys. Let's see if there are more members which can say a word or two about it.

This is almost certainly a Luftwaffe. KM insignia backings are very dark blue, sometimes almost black.

Quote by Redcap View Post

Always possible that some soldiers wore a DK with the wrong colour backing, but I don't believe this one was intended for KM.
    That is correct. I've seen a photo of a Heer officer with a white backed Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on his uniform and it looked very striking. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it, otherwise i'd post it here for reference.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree with you guys, as well as I am pretty sure that there were cases when KM personnel wore panzed DKiG as the color almost the same, but I am looking for a textbook Kriegsmarine DKiG which this one is bviously not.

As an example of different coloured DK's being worn on other service uniforms than they were intended for, here's a great shot of Generalmajor Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski one of Germany's finest panzer officers, wearing either a Heer (field grey), or Tropical/Summer (white) Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on his black panzer wrapper/tunic. It is almost certainly deliberate for the effect of making the award 'pop' as they say.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review  

?

Here is a true KM DK, on very dark blue backing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review  

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast