Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer/Auxiliary Cruiser war badge

Article about: I think this is one of the best designed KM war badges with it's "Viking Raider" themed design which was the brainchild of Ernst Peekhaus of Berlin. Instituted on 24th April 1941 b

Default Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer/Auxiliary Cruiser war badge

I think this is one of the best designed KM war badges with it's "Viking Raider" themed design which was the brainchild of Ernst Peekhaus of Berlin.

Instituted on 24th April 1941 by Grandadmiral Raeder to recognise the bravery of Germany's fleet of disguised merchant ships. These were often heavily armed and undertook long distance voyages to try and obtain rare strategic materials for the war effort.

Award Criteria:

Taking part in sucessful long distance voyage while being a crewman on an auxiliary cruiser or armed merchantman.

Being wounded while on a voyage

Also awarded for sucessful leadership on a voyage.

My example is a late war zinc badge, on which the gilt wash finish to the wreath has faded with age. Maker marked "FO" for Friedrich Orth.

Known Makers and material types used in their construction:

TOMBAK:

Schwerin Berlin marked, minor variations
    Schwerin Berlin aluminum globe
    Juncker unmarked and marked, marked. These are very rare.
    Japanese Made Type. Ultra rare!
    Mayer unmarked

ZINC:

Schwerin Berlin, one or two versions all marked.
    RS
    FO (See mine above)
    L/21
    Foerster and Barth unmarked; comes in one and two piece construction
    L/58 (although with the correct mark, caution required as this piece was also made post war as is possible with all Souval badges)
    French made versions by Baqueville, Paris.
    L/18 Mayer
    Juncker

SILVER:

Japanese Type. Again ultra rare!

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer/Auxiliary Cruiser war badge   Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer/Auxiliary Cruiser war badge  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer/Auxiliary Cruiser war badge
    P
    Many

Default Re: Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer/Auxiliary Cruiser war badge

WOW, likes it!!!

?

Default Re: Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer/Auxiliary Cruiser war badge

I agree with Ade, definitely one of the best designs of the era. Also one of the most expensive badges nowadays.
    Here's mine, a Steinhauer & Luck.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer/Auxiliary Cruiser war badge   Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer/Auxiliary Cruiser war badge  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Very nice indeed. Guys, this is a cracking idea to bring up some of these older threads, back from when you were getting things going on the forum. It is fantastic to see such awards, so thanks again for sharing them with us all.

Regards,

Carl

I'm after this one next, along with the destroyer badge!

?

Quote by Richarduk View Post
    I'm after this one next, along with the destroyer badge!
    Post before you pay!

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Here's mine, a Steinhauer & Luck.....
    that is not a S&L Herr Moderator, it is an unmarked F&B isn't it?

William Kramer

?

Quote by all1knew View Post
    that is not a S&L Herr Moderator, it is an unmarked F&B isn't it?

William Kramer
    Hi William,

That was what was thought initially but further investigation by NormF a few years ago has proven these to be S&L and not F&B. I'll look up the research when I get home later.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Hi William,

That was what was thought initially but further investigation by NormF a few years ago has proven these to be S&L and not F&B. I'll look up the research when I get home later.
    How odd, I would have never have guess a correlation between makers but Norm is the man when it comes to this kind of thing. Please post a link as I'd like a good read if you have time.

Thank you.

William Kramer

?

Here's a quick link to a thread where Norm explains the differences briefly in post #15......

Forster & Barth vs Steinhauer & Luck Hilfskreuzer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast