Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Krim Schild unknown maker ? or just another fake!

Article about: Good evening gentlemen, I would like help identifying the maker or indeed any advice on the originality ( or otherwise) of this Krim schild. the eagle looks to me like an Orth type though th

Default Krim Schild unknown maker ? or just another fake!

Good evening gentlemen, I would like help identifying the maker or indeed any advice on the originality ( or otherwise) of this Krim schild. the eagle looks to me like an Orth type though the schild itself is made from zinc ,the 4 pins incidently are magnetic. I look forward to your thoughts good or not so good ,have a great weekend ,Regards ,Paul

Krim Schild unknown maker ? or just another fake!Krim Schild unknown maker ? or just another fake!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Krim Schild unknown maker ? or just another fake!
    P
    Many

Hi Paul,

You've got a good eye, it is an original Krim Schilde by Friedrich Orth.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Big Ned for confirming my thoughts on this one ,regards, Paul

Just need backing plate, cloth and paper for it now! (just joking) a good original piece. Leon.

Sure has all the characteristics of an Orth, only I can't see any of the 'FO' stamping that should be impressed into the reverse at the lower tip of the shield. It may just be a very light impression, any chance of a better macro shot of that area?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Sure has all the characteristics of an Orth, only I can't see any of the 'FO' stamping that should be impressed into the reverse at the lower tip of the shield. It may just be a very light impression, any chance of a better macro shot of that area?
    Hi Glenn,

It's the early type 'A' badge, (before they switched to side tabs) they weren't stamped as far as I can recall.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Sorry Ned, but Weber has it that all Orth variants (1.09 thru 1.12, 1.12 being with the lateral prongs) should carry the reverse "f.o" stamp. I think I can see something in Pauls photo above but that could just be my dicky eyes and the crack cocaine talking.

I reckon the marking is there too.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Sorry Ned, but Weber has it that all Orth variants (1.09 thru 1.12, 1.12 being with the lateral prongs) should carry the reverse "f.o" stamp. I think I can see something in Pauls photo above but that could just be my dicky eyes and the crack cocaine talking.
    Hi Glenn,

Weber's book is dated now, and knowledge has moved on since it was first published back in 2009. If you want to use it as your reference then please take a close look at pages 98-101 titled 1.26 UNKNOWN MAKER - DESIGN F. ORTH (his bold) and tell me that's not the identical badge to the one above? There are clear differences from the stamped Orth shields in the earlier part of the book. He contests it was:

Quote: "most likely produced by an unknown manufacturer of the greater Vienna area (Hobacher?). A detailed look reveals deviations compared to the shield by Friedrich Orth." End Quote.

Since the book was published, I believe this shield has been widely accepted as being manufactured by Orth, (perhaps a different die to explain the "deviations"?), but regarding whether the above shield is stamped or not, I agree that on magnification of the obverse side, there does appear to be a very faint mark that resembles the "fo" trademark, but on the reverse it's not visible. Maybe that's why in the book he claims the type 1.26 is unmarked, because the strike is that light it's almost invisible?

An interesting topic when the Weber references are looked at closely anyway.

Regards, Ned.

Great information & maybe a touch of controversy just goes to show there is so much to learn & even when you think you've got it right new information comes to light ,Thanks so much for your time Gents , here's a close up of the reverse for Glenn66 ,Regards ,Paul

Krim Schild unknown maker ? or just another fake!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast