Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Krim Schilde Unknown Maker

Article about: Hello all, It's been a couple of years now since i first showed this Krim shield over on WAF. I have just ripped the pictures straight off my old thread over there. So let me mention the pro

Default Krim Schilde Unknown Maker

Hello all,
    It's been a couple of years now since i first showed this Krim shield over on WAF.
    I have just ripped the pictures straight off my old thread over there.

So let me mention the provenance. The shield came straight out of an old vet collection of 3 items. A flugmeldendienst badge, a nice big LW eagle off the front of an honour shield and this Krim.
    I have posted both the badge and eagle on here so should be findable.

My belief is that it is a yet unidentified maker shield.
    I have in the past years only ever come across one other shield of the same design.
    Both were from collections in the UK (I will post the thread links to both original threads below)

So whats the consensus good or dud.............

Krim Schilde Unknown MakerKrim Schilde Unknown Maker

You will note the shaped backplate incorporating a 'bump' for the eagles head profile.

Here is the one other that I have come across........

Krim Schilde Unknown MakerKrim Schilde Unknown Maker

My belief is if it was a modern reproduction there would be a lot more seen on the forums but to my knowledge there is only these two.....unless you know something different?

All the best
    Doug

Whoops..here are the two links to WAF:

Unusual Krim shield - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Ugly Krim Opinions needed - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Krim Schilde Unknown Maker
    P
    Many

Hi Doug,

Never seen this one before.....Anywhere. The unmatching numbers font on the two dates, the club footed swastika along with the weird eagles head that is reminiscent of that on the notorious "Toucan Fake" PAB would be enough for me to play the Levite and pass by on the other side of the road. Now a Samaritan on the other hand......

Krim Schilde Unknown Maker

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Not an expert by any means but i agree with Ned on this one as it looks odd!...

Thanks for your input Ned ,
    I was hoping to get some more responses to the pictures.

Looking back at WAF there was one or two big hitters who came straight out saying it was a fake but like you mention I have never seen anything like it good or dud.

Here is my take on this (and bear in mind I have no interest in financial gain on this as I have no intention with parting with it. I was hoping for a lively discussion about the shield and perhaps some more owners looking through their rubbish boxes to see if they had a similar example)
    Whoever made the shield first of all produced a special die to cut the shaped back plate.
    They would have had to make the two dies front and rear and then start knocking them out at a 'bargain' price.

As I mentioned in the first post I have only ever come across one other example posted for review and I do look at a lot of forums.

The only two examples have appeared in the UK

The provenance was without question in my mind and for the items that I bought the shield was just 'free' so there was no incentive from the seller to pass on any crap.

Just an enigma to me.

All the best
    Doug

I have never seen this style before either.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Gunny, Ade.
    thanks for the input.
    This shield really has me stumped.
    I do like the simplicity of the design. The 4 pins on both examples (I know mine has lost almost all of them) are consistent with period examples.
    I just can't get away from that shaped zinc backplate.

It continues to have me wondering.

All the best
    Doug