Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?

Article about: Hi Guys, could you please give me your views about this badge?, thanks, Juan

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    I think awardees were allowed up to five shields each. Award entries in either soldbuch or wear pass are harder to find. Stewy
    That's true mate, only if the award was posthumous was a single example sent to the NoK.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?
    P
    Many

Smile Kuban Luftwaffe Shield?

Hi Ned, is this a correct Luftwaffe Shield? Is logically cheaper than the other one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?   Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?  

Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?  

A lot of the detail is not clear but it looks like a genuine type 5.5 to me. No offence meant Juan, but it's time you started doing a bit of homework yourself on all these various badges you want to collect and get yourself educated instead of relying on the goodwill of others almost exclusively. I have spent over an hour today answering all your questions as best I can, it's your turn to give it a go old pal.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned, no offence at all, I am kind of new to this hobby, as you know, I once bought an item, very expensive and it was a fake, was a lot of money and that obviously was not good. This hobby is superb, but I am learning to be cautious about each item I intend to buy and you guys are great experts and that, I assume, takes years. Sorry that I took a lot of time from you mate, that was not my intention at all, next time I will not specifically ask the questions to you, at the end of the day a thread is for everyone to participate, isnt it?. Take care and sorry again, best regards, Juan
    Quote by big ned View Post
    A lot of the detail is not clear but it looks like a genuine type 5.5 to me. No offence meant Juan, but it's time you started doing a bit of homework yourself on all these various badges you want to collect and get yourself educated instead of relying on the goodwill of others almost exclusively. I have spent over an hour today answering all your questions as best I can, it's your turn to give it a go old pal.

Regards, Ned.

Quote by jamoros View Post
    Hi Ned, no offence at all, I am kind of new to this hobby, as you know, I once bought an item, very expensive and it was a fake, was a lot of money and that obviously was not good. This hobby is superb, but I am learning to be cautious about each item I intend to buy and you guys are great experts and that, I assume, takes years. Sorry that I took a lot of time from you mate, that was not my intention at all, next time I will not specifically ask the questions to you, at the end of the day a thread is for everyone to participate, isnt it?. Take care and sorry again, best regards, Juan
    Hi Juan,

First of all I would like to state that these forthcoming observations are not directed at you, but more towards an overall apparent lack of ethos, the fundamental values of an increasing number of both old and new collectors to study closely the minutae of what it is they wish to collect. These are my personal thoughts (or more like ramblings) on one or two of the matters you mention both fairly and graciously in the statement above.

I fully understand yours and others concerns regarding the buying of expensive items that turn out fake, that's only natural, we've all been there and everyone, even the most seasoned collectors or students of these items still needs a bit of helpful advice once in a while. But..., and I cannot stress this enough, there is a VAST library of knowledge, experience and informational resources available in the archive of the forum for all here to avail themselves that has been built up gradually since the day the site was opened back in 2008. There is little of what members wish to get an answer to that has not already been covered, usually comprehensively and in it's entirety.

Unfortunately it is from all appearances very under used by many of the members, or not even at all, as it is far easier for an increasing number of mainly new "collectors", (and I use that word advisedly), to just fire in an often brusque "Is it real???" post or "What's it worth???" quickly followed an hour later by an impatient "Anybody...???" It's obvious from this that the correspondent has made little effort, but more often than not, non whatsoever, to check the forum archive via the Search Function, due I feel, to a casual and cheerful indifference of it or just pure laziness. Or both.

This truly amazes me as there is within that archive as much information that has been freely given, (in some cases by some of the most knowledgeable collectors AND academics on the planet!) as there is in any number of the text books available that would cost literally thousands of $/£/Euro's to buy but is absolutely free to use here by EVERY MEMBER, no extra charges, nothing.

Yet INCREASINGLY people join here with no interest in learning, either the hard way, or really learning anything at all. Their only concern is not wanting to get shafted, or what is the cheapest amount of money they can expect to pay for some rather expensive items, and that's it..., the history, it's meaning, being able to recognise original from fake, has a lot less bearing these days to many new collectors than the actual owning of a piece of "Cool Nazi Memorabilia" or are looking at "Profitable Investment Opportunities" and I'm aiming that at the huge amount of "1 post wonders" that are becoming endemic on all forums, for just one example, when it comes to do with the originality of SS Ehrenrings and associated "Cool Nazi" finger jewellery or so it often appears, here one minute, gone the next and most often without a thank you or by your leave.

I could go on and on, (and unfortunately often do...) about such things, but what really boils my pi$$ is that the true treasure of this forum, it's huge repository of archival resources is under used or simply ignored, and that is the reason for my rant here and not a personal attack or chastisement on you Juan, or anyone else in particular.

Therefore I would urge all who have bothered to read this take advantage of what we have here....And of course spread the word at every opportunity to those that one may think could benefit from it.

And......Breathe, Ned.

Hi Ned, after your brief comment, kidding aside. Could not agree more with you. It s good that you bring this up on general terms. All in all, at the end of the day, we all spend some quite time sharing and reading this Forum s great contents, so it s very positive to also have that confidence level to approach new members in order to enhance this Forum s existing capabilities among us. The way I see this great hobby and approach it fully differs with those who might perceive it purely as a nice "investment" or just simply a cool TR item by it self to own in fashion terms. I personally, like to get much more involved than that, trying to learn and understand what s behind each item I buy and also reading a bit about its global context, it s a bit of both I guess. Last but not least, I appreciate and I like the fact that you are honest and direct about your concern, thanks again, best regards, Juan The
    Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Juan,

First of all I would like to state that these forthcoming observations are not directed at you, but more towards an overall apparent lack of ethos, the fundamental values of an increasing number of both old and new collectors to study closely the minutae of what it is they wish to collect. These are my personal thoughts (or more like ramblings) on one or two of the matters you mention both fairly and graciously in the statement above.

I fully understand yours and others concerns regarding the buying of expensive items that turn out fake, that's only natural, we've all been there and everyone, even the most seasoned collectors or students of these items still needs a bit of helpful advice once in a while. But..., and I cannot stress this enough, there is a VAST library of knowledge, experience and informational resources available in the archive of the forum for all here to avail themselves that has been built up gradually since the day the site was opened back in 2008. There is little of what members wish to get an answer to that has not already been covered, usually comprehensively and in it's entirety.

Unfortunately it is from all appearances very under used by many of the members, or not even at all, as it is far easier for an increasing number of mainly new "collectors", (and I use that word advisedly), to just fire in an often brusque "Is it real???" post or "What's it worth???" quickly followed an hour later by an impatient "Anybody...???" It's obvious from this that the correspondent has made little effort, but more often than not, non whatsoever, to check the forum archive via the Search Function, due I feel, to a casual and cheerful indifference of it or just pure laziness. Or both.

This truly amazes me as there is within that archive as much information that has been freely given, (in some cases by some of the most knowledgeable collectors AND academics on the planet!) as there is in any number of the text books available that would cost literally thousands of $/£/Euro's to buy but is absolutely free to use here by EVERY MEMBER, no extra charges, nothing.

Yet INCREASINGLY people join here with no interest in learning, either the hard way, or really learning anything at all. Their only concern is not wanting to get shafted, or what is the cheapest amount of money they can expect to pay for some rather expensive items, and that's it..., the history, it's meaning, being able to recognise original from fake, has a lot less bearing these days to many new collectors than the actual owning of a piece of "Cool Nazi Memorabilia" or are looking at "Profitable Investment Opportunities" and I'm aiming that at the huge amount of "1 post wonders" that are becoming endemic on all forums, for just one example, when it comes to do with the originality of SS Ehrenrings and associated "Cool Nazi" finger jewellery or so it often appears, here one minute, gone the next and most often without a thank you or by your leave.

I could go on and on, (and unfortunately often do...) about such things, but what really boils my pi$$ is that the true treasure of this forum, it's huge repository of archival resources is under used or simply ignored, and that is the reason for my rant here and not a personal attack or chastisement on you Juan, or anyone else in particular.

Therefore I would urge all who have bothered to read this take advantage of what we have here....And of course spread the word at every opportunity to those that one may think could benefit from it.

And......Breathe, Ned.

Quote by jamoros View Post
    Hi Ned, after your brief comment, kidding aside. Could not agree more with you. It s good that you bring this up on general terms. All in all, at the end of the day, we all spend some quite time sharing and reading this Forum s great contents, so it s very positive to also have that confidence level to approach new members in order to enhance this Forum s existing capabilities among us. The way I see this great hobby and approach it fully differs with those who might perceive it purely as a nice "investment" or just simply a cool TR item by it self to own in fashion terms. I personally, like to get much more involved than that, trying to learn and understand what s behind each item I buy and also reading a bit about its global context, it s a bit of both I guess. Last but not least, I appreciate and I like the fact that you are honest and direct about your concern, thanks again, best regards, Juan The
    Hi Juan,

Like I said, it was not aimed as a slight at you, I know you are above more than just being like some would-be-collectors as your willingness to purchase varied items, including higher end awards and suchlike after taking in advice proffered here shows again and again your undoubted commitment, so fair play to you!

What I'm trying to get across here, and encourage, is for some members old and new, to get into the good practice of using the forums huge archive more in an effort to learn a little themselves rather than relying on a definite minority of the membership to answer all their questions for them. Sure, that's the easy way, but it's not the best if you intend staying in this hobby for any appreciable length of time. The information is already here, so why not use it? Any questions after that are a breath of fresh air to read when you can see someone has made at least some effort to try and help themselves.

Regards, Ned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2