Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?

Article about: Hi Guys, could you please give me your views about this badge?, thanks, Juan

Smile Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?

Hi Guys, could you please give me your views about this badge?, thanks, Juan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?   Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?  

Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?
    P
    Many

its been on a uniform at some time

Indeed you are right about that, seller indicates that it was on a uniform once, regards
    Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    its been on a uniform at some time

Hi Juan,

It's an original type 5.1 by an unknown maker, as were all the half dozen or so manufacturers of Kuban Shields except one, the type 5.6 by Karl Wurster of Markneukirchen who produced a zinc shield maker marked on the reverse.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned, are these badges rare to find?
    Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Juan,

It's an original type 5.1 by an unknown maker, as were all the half dozen or so manufacturers of Kuban Shields except one, the type 5.6 by Karl Wurster of Markneukirchen who produced a zinc shield maker marked on the reverse.

Regards, Ned.

Hi Ned again, seller says that this is actually scarce, what are your views on this?, thanks, Juan QUOTE=big ned;1442604]Hi Juan,

Regards, Ned.[/QUOTE]

Quote by jamoros View Post
    Hi Ned again, seller says that this is actually scarce, what are your views on this?, thanks, Juan QUOTE=big ned;1442604]Hi Juan,

Regards, Ned.
    [/QUOTE]

Not particularly scarce, although I believe less were awarded than Krim Shields so they still command a price that is a little over 40-60 Euro's more than Krim's on the open market for a fair conditioned example. The more uncommon type of Kuban shield has the prongs on the rear rather than the most commonly found side tabs, but the 5.1 above has the tabs and not the prongs so as far as being a Kuban Shield it's a pretty average one.

Oddly when it comes to Krim shields the opposite is the case with more types having prongs rather than side tabs, but this is likely as the Kuban Shield was instituted over a year after the Krim version, and by that time production developments had probably on the whole moved on as the integral side tab variant was a cheaper option than the soldered on prongs. That's my theory anyway!

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned, very interesting, now that I know that this badge is not as scarce as I initially thought, is it realistic to wait for a type 5.6 by Karl Wurster of Markneukirchen to show up or these are impossible to get?, thanks Ned and sorry for being a hassle, regards, Juan QUOTE=big ned;1442633][/QUOTE]

Not particularly scarce, although I believe less were awarded than Krim Shields so they still command a price that is a little over 40-60 Euro's more than Krim's on the open market for a fair conditioned example. The more uncommon type of Kuban shield has the prongs on the rear rather than the most commonly found side tabs, but the 5.1 above has the tabs and not the prongs so as far as being a Kuban Shield it's a pretty average one.

Oddly when it comes to Krim shields the opposite is the case with more types having prongs rather than side tabs, but this is likely as the Kuban Shield was instituted over a year after the Krim version, and by that time production developments had probably on the whole moved on as the integral side tab variant was a cheaper option than the soldered on prongs. That's my theory anyway!

Regards, Ned.[/QUOTE]

Quote by jamoros View Post
    Thanks Ned, very interesting, now that I know that this badge is not as scarce as I initially thought, is it realistic to wait for a type 5.6 by Karl Wurster of Markneukirchen to show up or these are impossible to get?, thanks Ned and sorry for being a hassle, regards, Juan QUOTE=big ned;1442633]

The value really doesn't change from one to another, they're all pretty much the same, it's just that some types are more uncommon than others but that's it. The most obvious way to quickly identify a Wurster shield without having to dismantle it is to remember it's the only one that is made from zinc, and therefore non magnetic, it has prongs rather than tabs, and that if the rear paper is still attached it's always the black leatherette type. If not then it's been replaced at sometime.

Here's an example of a KWM Kuban shield for your reference, it shows one of a couple of known maker marks known to be used by them.

Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?Kuban Campaign Shield, Opinions please?

Regards, Ned.

I think awardees were allowed up to five shields each. Award entries in either soldbuch or wehrpass are harder to find. Stewy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast