Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Kuban shield

Article about: Hello all, Can anyone please tell me the maker of the Kuban shield? Heavily worn original or artificially aged reproduction with new backing? William Kramer

Default Kuban shield

Hello all,

Can anyone please tell me the maker of the Kuban shield? Heavily worn original or artificially aged reproduction with new backing?

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3126.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	446022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3128.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	446023  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Kuban shield

Hello,i don't collect shields but my opinion for what it is worth is that this is an aged fake.The reason i say that is the detail looks a bit soft to me,especially the lower two place names which are very weak and seem a bit "sqeezed"into the area of the shield.Also the only original examples i have seen have a straight look to the 4 in "42",this one has a curved upper arm on the 4.Just my thoughts,i hope an "expert" comes along and proves me wrong.

?

I'm not convinced either. I don't know much about these awards but it does look artificially aged.

Any more thoughts?

FWIW the backing looks very new compared to the shield obverse and I don't see any evidence of the shield being uniform attached so how could the shield have become worn looking?