Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lapplandschild

Article about: Hi Guys, I would like to present this one to you for our forum records. These are RARE and this one has direct provenance back to 1945 when it was obtained by the British soldier who brought

Default Lapplandschild

Hi Guys, I would like to present this one to you for our forum records.

These are RARE and this one has direct provenance back to 1945 when it was obtained by the British soldier who brought it home. He got it from a PoW.

Sadly I could not afford to buy it

None of these were factory made. All were made locally by units or by soldiers in PoW camps. They can be cast or stamped. There are many variations to these. Care is needed if buying one and only buy known versions which can be attributed.

Material is a light alloy.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lapplandschild   Lapplandschild  

Lapplandschild   Lapplandschild  

Lapplandschild   Lapplandschild  

Lapplandschild  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lapplandschild
    P
    Many

Nice to see a genuine attributed shield with vet provenance like this Ade! May I be as so bold to ask what it went for??

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Great to see this example Ade and top quality pics for referral purposes , thanks for the post
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hi Ned, over £300. I just could not run to that.

Cheers, Ade
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Ned, over £300. I just could not run to that.

Cheers, Ade
    Still not an unrealistic price for some of the real keeno's who collect the various campaign schildes I guess. I really like it, it seems to be made from scrap aluminium, perhaps an old mess tin or ammo container?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Maybe Ralph can weigh in here but from a tool makers perspective i think the execution is interesting.
    I concurr with Ned that it could have been made from a mess tin - the patina was there before the stamping happened - and it has been reverse impressed against a firm but non rigid surface.
    I think a hand carved stamp ( with details and words in relief ) was struck into the sheet while it was resting on something like wet clay... something that would allow the alloy to form around the stamp. Then the holes were punched from the front.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to find that stamp! !!!

Thanks for the great detailed photos Ade. A true exemplar.
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

This shield looks almost like a hollow variant of the "Soap dish", which is the most readily accepted Lappland Shield. Considering they were all POW made. I think there's a fair chance these originate from camps in mid Norway. I have a Lapp. shield but it is from a different camp at the very least. All that seem to be war time (POW camp made) have a certain trait. But i'll keep that to myself for now. At about £300-ish that's a result IMO. Stewy

Yes nice to see a real one so many junk shields on ebay each week