MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LDO box.....

Article about: Schinkel EK? Or a police long service medal?

?

Default LDO box.....

This one arrived today containing a Minesweeper badge. You can clearly see the badge has been with the box for a long time but you can also tell the box was not intended for this award.

I've tried an EK and a KVK in the box but they're both larger than the indentation by some margin, neither sit in the recess.

So, any other ideas as to what the box might have been made for?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LDO box.....   LDO box.....  

LDO box.....   LDO box.....  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement LDO box.....
    P
    Many

Default Re: LDO box.....

hard to say without it in hand but i believe i've seen boxes with this kind of recess with EKIIs. but you say you have tried this?

it's frustrating because i have recently seen this box with the award in it. i can not remember where i was, but i believe the medal in the box was an EKII?

wish i could do better, Adrian. maybe i will look around if no one else solves the puzzle. i know i have seen this box.

?

Thank you for your reply.

Yep, tried an EK2 and a KVK2 and neither fitted, and I mean really didn't fit. The awards are a good 5mm too big for the recess and sat up on the edges.
    I was sure it was for one of these medals but I'm at a loss now.

Ta- Dah!!

Currently for sale on the GCA forum.

EDIT: Or maybe not then........???
    Attached Images Attached Images LDO box.....  LDO box.....  LDO box.....  LDO box..... 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Adrian , this box was for an EK2 , here is my cased one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LDO box.....  

Hi Adrian,

Look closely at the colour of the case, is it a very dark blue rather than black? It's just that I've found out that these type of cases were used for the Faithful Service Cross (don't know how many years service for I'm afraid) and were issued in a dark blue case. If you have one of these awards it should be a perfect fit.

Possibly a black case could have been used too, as a differentiation of the years service for the award, but that's purely a guess.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Here's a couple of pics with an EK2 in the box. As you can tell, there is no way this is fitting in there. Compare to the examples Ned and Mark have posted.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LDO box.....   LDO box.....  

?

Looks like i was wrong Adrian , just thought it looked like an EK2 box

What is the material? Do you think it might have just shrunk with age?

Just a guess, the fire fighter's medal?

Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast