Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Looking to start collecting. Would like some advice.

Article about: Hey everyone, I would let to start collecting either "tinnies" or medals, since they take up little room and the prices on most seem reasonable and something I would be able to man

Default Looking to start collecting. Would like some advice.

Hey everyone,

I would let to start collecting either "tinnies" or medals, since they take up little room and the prices on most seem reasonable and something I would be able to manage (get one or two per month). Besides here on the forum, what are the best places to look? My main concern is of course authenticity. Is there a book or reference website out there to help with authentication? Don't want to have to bother the guys here on the forum every time I find something I would like to purchase.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Looking to start collecting. Would like some advice.
    P
    Many

I'm sure you will find answers about authenticity with the wealth of knowledge offered here.
    For medals/tinnies I would recommend Jamie Cross's website at THIRD REICH MEDALS.COM FOR GERMAN BADGES, MEDALS, AWARDS ETC I have made a many purchases for this site when it comes to medals/badges. Two other well respected dealers are located at A Collector's Guild as well as The Ruptured Duck - German WWII Memorabilia / Militaria
    I have had nothing but good purchases from these dealer's sites, but as always consult the forum before making any purchase you are unsure about.

Quote by willisms View Post
    Hey everyone,

Don't want to have to bother the guys here on the forum every time I find something I would like to purchase.
    It is no bother at all,at least not to me.
    I think i can speak on behalf of all of the experienced collectors here or on any other forum.Some of us have been collecting for decades,as for myself,since the 1960's.
    Feel free to post any item you wish to purchase in the appropriate sub-forum.I am sure there are many here that are willing to help you.
    The beauty of any Militaria forum is the sharing of knowledge,IMO and i do get my "jollies" in helping other collectors.
    Even after collecting as long as i have,you learn something new every day.

Study the old threads,learn and good luck in your future collecting.

Regards,Martin.

?

Good luck! Tinnies are a lot safer than some other areas, but there are still plenty of fakes, and not only of the really expensive ones. With my very limited experience, I've seen some websites selling copies that cost more than originals!

?

It's no bother asking, that's what the forum and members are here for!
    There are some good guys here who are willing to help and can offer experienced and sound advice, listening to them would be a great start.

The main thing to do is collect what you like. The pieces that will give you the most amount of satisfaction to research, look at, add to your collection. Don't get drawn into a 'must have' way of collecting because everyone says you should havr something. It's your money, your collection.

I have a list of dealers that I recommend to fellow collectors based upon personal experience. I will be happy to send them to you via private message if you wish. There is also a list of sponsors of the forum that are worth looking at as well as the classified section here.

Keep asking questions, use the search function and post any potential purchases here for appraisal before parting with any money until you are sufficiently confident in your own abilities.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....