Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )

Article about: Been eagerly awaiting for this one to arrive. Came in the mail today. A hard to find version of the Luft ROAG (Radio Operator / Air Gunner) qualification badge. While unmarked it is said to

MAP
    ?

Default Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )

Been eagerly awaiting for this one to arrive. Came in the mail today.

A hard to find version of the Luft ROAG (Radio Operator / Air Gunner) qualification badge.

While unmarked it is said to have been produced by Friedrich Linden, Ludenscheid (FLL). It is a featherweight at only 13 grams.

What is unique about this one is that has a Cupal wreath and an aluminum eagle. The catch may be wartime repaired (lots of excess solder) but does not detract from the award at all and something I often see with Luft awards.

Overall obverse condition is Excellent ++. Not mint as it was issued and worn. Silver wash on the wreath is almost 100% with some minor dark patina that is much less visible in hand. Further you can see slight signs of the copper on the highpoints of the wreath and some honest but minor wear on the eagle.

click to enlarge photos.

Regards,

Michael

Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL  (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )

Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL  (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL  (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )
    P
    Many

Really nice badge Michael, congratulations. I like this fliegerschutzen badges very much and this is great example.
    Best regards,
    Franko

I love Cupal badges. Yes...one can see the copper base on the wreath were it is worn. Beautiful !!

MAP
    ?

Thank you gentlemen...

David: Cupal is fantastic! Especially in a lightly worn state. I think I have 3 or 4 awards (including this one) in Cupal. Love them all.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Michael, I don't see a problem with the excessive solder round the hook.
    It seems to be quite typical on both the cupal and tombac wreathed ROAGs attributed to FLL

It's a very nice uncommon badge and a nice addition to your collection

Doug

MAP
    ?

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Michael, I don't see a problem with the excessive solder round the hook.
    It seems to be quite typical on both the cupal and tombac wreathed ROAGs attributed to FLL

It's a very nice uncommon badge and a nice addition to your collection

Doug
    Thanks Doug.

This award was owned at one time by Mr. Durante. In his analysis, he did not mention as the catch being repaired. Nor did the sellers description mention this either. (Full disclosure - I have seen photos of the award when Mr. Durante owned it and it is exactly the same).

That said, I've seen another example of this makers ROAG (but not in cupal /aluminum) and it didn't have this much excess. But as you note, it's not unheard of to see this on cupal awards...

I guess I was just being cautious in my views....but good to know that is not the case here!!! Makes it even nicer!!!!

You are right Michael
    The zinc FLL badges always seem to have a neat solder job on the hook plate compared to the earlier badges

I think I may have a picture of one of Toms badges

If I get chance I’ll dig them out

Cheers
    Doug

MAP
    ?

Thanks...looking fwd to see.

This is a special piece so while I had to step up, it was well worth it.

Hey Presto Michael.
    Pictures below and it turns out to be your latest addition.

Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL  (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL  (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )

But to add weight to the fact that your badge is not repaired here is another:

Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL  (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL  (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )

All the best
    Doug

MAP
    ?

Awesome Doug. Thanks. I guess I was just being too pessimistic I guess. The top photos I think are from Mr. Durante's post on WAF if I remember correctly.

Now on the hunt for a nice AG award...just have to build up some cash first!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast