Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftschutz 1st class

Article about: I cam across this medal from an antique mall. It was in a case of 20 medals. My friend bought most the others, but I grabbed this one. I am not sure what to make of it since I can only find

Default Luftschutz 1st class

I cam across this medal from an antique mall. It was in a case of 20 medals. My friend bought most the others, but I grabbed this one. I am not sure what to make of it since I can only find one other photo of an original from Snyder's Treasures. I have found many gold edition repos for sale, but none of the silver ones. I'm not sure if this is real or not, but it does look old and it does not have that shine that most fakes have. I compared the writing to the photos and they look exact, even the sizes of the triangles on the cross against the circle look the same. As you can see they are not perfect triangles. the lettering seems to match as well as the date on the back and the the texture.
    I am afraid to clean it, though that might help to see if it is real. Mine is without the ribbon.
    Luftschutz 1st classLuftschutz 1st classLuftschutz 1st classLuftschutz 1st classLuftschutz 1st class
    Let me know what you all think. I know if it is real, it is a great find and worth keeping.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftschutz 1st class
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Luftschutz 1st class

G'day mate!

Welcome....whilst I can't comment as to the authenticity of the medal! I personaly would stay away from Mr Snyders site....he doesn't have the reputation as being a reputable dealer

Neither pieces suspension ring set up is correct for this rather scarce medal I am afraid. Here is what it should look like...there is a tombac example and a zinc example available.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftschutz 1st class  

I saw that photo to, however, the one of the left is a second class. The one on the right specifically says "Gold". I know the 3rd reich did have different classes of the same medal, could mine be a silver class?
    Does anyone have an old book that might have more information on the medal cause I cant find much.

?

I know very little about these medals, however in the few minutes I looked online, all of the examples (excluding those on other forums deemed to be fake) I've seen have a gold finish. In addition, the suspension is the same as those in the photo provided by Winter. If there was a "Silver" Class, my assumption is they would use the same suspension. Additionally, what purpose would a silver class serve considering a 2nd class is in existence?

Below is what I assume to be an original, with same style suspension shown in the document provided by Winter, from Craig Gottlieb:

Luftschutz Cross, First Class

?

Your LS medals look a little rough

?

"could mine be a silver class?"

No, 1st. class are gold, with, as far as I know, the unique suspension. 2nd. class is the round medal.
    Regards,
    Pete

The first class was only gold...the gold finish is usually missing from the zinc examples though.

I'd imagine that there are casting seems on the sides of this medal...can you post good pics of the 'rim' of the medal?

Poor, soft detail. Not a good one imo

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Its a fake unfortunately !
    Here a picture of mine to comparison

Regards
    JT

Luftschutz 1st class

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast