Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Luftwaffe Beobachterabzeichen

Article about: A friend just asked me to verify authenticity of the badge below. Not really my area of collecting so thought it best to ask here. Please have a look and tell me your thoughts. To me it appe

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Doug,

Here's a confirmed original. I think it addresses some if not all of your concerns regarding the badge being discussed here. It's acceptable to find these with both raised and indented maker marks, and in rare cases not marked at all. the position of the stamp is not overtly critical as it was added by hand.

Attachment 813318Attachment 813319

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks for posting the reference pictures Ned and thanks Tom for taking the time to post the extra ones.

In light of the younger more experienced eyes I must admit it is a nice quality and good looking badge so I will go with original.
    The rivets still look as though they may have had a knock to tighten them up.

There is enough going for it in the detail. I do like these 2nd Pattern Assmann's ( I have never come across a first pattern one to add to my collection)

All the best
    Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Beobachterabzeichen
    P
    Many

Doug, to be honest, the rivets were a concern to me too when I first saw the photos. Thanks for your input.

Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    Doug, to be honest, the rivets were a concern to me too when I first saw the photos. Thanks for your input.

Tom
    My pleasure Tom,
    I'll have a scrat through my collection I am sure I have at least one of these knocking about and I'll compare the rivets to mine.
    I always thought they should be nicely domed, hence me thinking it may have had a bang to tighten the eagle up?!

All the best
    Doug

Quote by Saladin View Post
    My pleasure Tom,
    I'll have a scrat through my collection I am sure I have at least one of these knocking about and I'll compare the rivets to mine.
    I always thought they should be nicely domed, hence me thinking it may have had a bang to tighten the eagle up?!

All the best
    Doug
    The tombak rivets used by Assmann are quite distinctive when in factory condition. They are often referred to as having 'nipples' (stop laughing at the back..!!), but in Tom's example it's apparent that they have been peined over to tighten the badge up. Here's a close up of what they would originally have looked like from the badge I used as an example earlier.

Luftwaffe Beobachterabzeichen

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3