MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe Erdkampfabzeichen / Ground Combat badge

Article about: This badge was instituted on 31st March 1942 in order to decorate members of the Luftwaffe engaged in ground combat. The award was given for: Taking part in three engagements on three differ

Does anyone know if Paul Meybauer (L/13) produced a Luftwaffe Ground Assault Badge? I have seen one but suspect it may be fake as I can find no information on whether Meybauer produced any.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Erdkampfabzeichen / Ground Combat badge
    P
    Many

Quote by williep48 View Post
    Does anyone know if Paul Meybauer (L/13) produced a Luftwaffe Ground Assault Badge? I have seen one but suspect it may be fake as I can find no information on whether Meybauer produced any.
    As far as is known there were no Erdkampfabzeichen's made by the company of Paul Meybauer, although genuine unmarked badges do turn up with spurious maker marks and those of other makers who did produce the badge but not the type so marked. This is usually done to increase the value of the item. A couple of decent photo's of the badge in question would really help answer this request properly.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you to Big Ned for your input. You pretty much confirmed my suspicions. I have been looking for a Luftwaffe Ground Assault Badge to add to my collection for some time and have become familiar with the hallmarks. I have tried to add pictures. Hope I did it right. This badge is not in my possession but is being presented by a dealer. I have copied his pictures.

I became suspicious for several reasons. First, having become familiar with the markings while searching, I could not recall an L/13 mark. I searched many dealers and could not find one comparable. An internet search revealed a list of prominent makers and L/13 was not one of them.

Second, a look at the back of the badge reveals that the L/13 could have been engraved after the fact. It is not a raised hallmark. The badge may be an original which I think it is but someone could have engraved the L/13 in order to make it a rare production and sell at a higher price.

Third, the dealer is not showing the hallmark prominently which I find unusual. Most dealers are up front with the hallmarks because the know most collectors take that into consideration. However, this dealer keeps the hallmark hidden behind the pin and doesn't show a closeup. I find that unusual. It also leads me to believe he may know what he has and is trying to dump it. Then again, he may not know. He wouldn't be the first dealer who is not familiar with what he is selling.

Fourth is the price. The badge is listed at $270 which is a premium price for the badge since a good one sells in the $350-$500 range. If this truly was a badge made by L/13 it would be even rarer and demand a higher price.

Again, thank you Big Ned for your reply. You were very helpful.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Erdkampfabzeichen / Ground Combat badge   Luftwaffe Erdkampfabzeichen / Ground Combat badge  

Luftwaffe Erdkampfabzeichen / Ground Combat badge  

Quote by williep48 View Post
    Thank you to Big Ned for your input.
    How unusual that the badge I showed here: ErdKampfAbzeichen Unmarked and am researching that another example should show up for sale with the same hardware setup.
    This time with the spurious stampings that have been added that Ned mentioned before.

Nice badge...I would buy it even though it has been re stamped.

Regards
    Doug

It's interesting to see this badge that's marked L/13 for Meybauer as it conforms with what I mentioned regarding the spurious maker mark. I wonder how many there are of these out there? I honestly still think these are products of the unknown maker that's been tentatively linked to J.E. Hammer & Sohne that have been messed with, but the price given is actually about retail for this unmarked type.

There's a couple on this Dutch website currently for sale at the same sort of money (just over half way down the page), and these have no issues to worry about.

https://www.militariaplaza.nl/medals...esults,151-150

If it were me, I would look towards one of these assuming they're still available.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2