Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) Nr18 Karl Wurster

Article about: Hi folks, I've been after one of these nice "Ostmedailles" for a while now, The main criteria being that it had to have retained a fair percentage of its original finnish and would

Default Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) Nr18 Karl Wurster

Hi folks, I've been after one of these nice "Ostmedailles" for a while now, The main criteria being that it had to have retained a fair percentage of its original finnish and would be nicely ring stamped, well this one by Karl Wurster popped up on a Brit website for what i consider to be a fair price and as they say "all comes to he who waits"and it is now mine i believe it to be a goodun but as always i look forward to opinions good or bad. Cheers,Paul

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	914957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	914958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	332.7 KB 
ID:	914959

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Looks to be a good one.

A nice example Paul!
    Patience is a virtue I always say.
    Thanks for posting.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Very nice!...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Nice one Paul! Is it an early buntmetal? It doesn't appear to be zinc. Stewy

A nice medal, the "frozen meat" award...

Yep, its an nice original!

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Nice one Paul! Is it an early buntmetal? It doesn't appear to be zinc. Stewy
    Ostmedals are not as yet been found in zinc.
    This medal is made of zinc to see from the zinc bubbles..

Thanks for all the positive replys folks, I think i have to agree with Steinar that this is made from Zinc as he rightly points out that you can spot the "age" bubbleing under the plated finish. Question ,did all the Ostmedaille manufacturers originally coat the medals rim & helmet with silver colored plating ?On the majority i,ve seen it appears to be completely missing (absorbed by the zinc ?) or perhaps never plated in the first place. Cheers again, Paul

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Thanks for all the positive replys folks, I think i have to agree with Steinar that this is made from Zinc as he rightly points out that you can spot the "age" bubbleing under the plated finish. Question ,did all the Ostmedaille manufacturers originally coat the medals rim & helmet with silver colored plating ?On the majority i,ve seen it appears to be completely missing (absorbed by the zinc ?) or perhaps never plated in the first place. Cheers again, Paul
    All medals were silver-plated.

Whether the silver remains over the years, is due to the quality of the zinc and the processing.

Not much there to add
    But a nice example of my favorite award

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast