Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant

Article about: Hi, I recently acquired this rare Spanish made variant which only about 2000 would have been made. It is obvious that the quality is not the same as the German made. If someone has more info

Default Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant

Hi,

I recently acquired this rare Spanish made variant which only about 2000 would have been made. It is obvious that the quality is not the same as the German made.

If someone has more information like history, manufacturer etc. about this variant I would be grateful.

Thanks
    /Jonas

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variantMedaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant
    P
    Many

Default Re: Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant

Fascinating! I didnt know these existed

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

An interesting piece for sure.

If it's an original piece I don't know how you would identify a maker. I can't ever remember seeing a marked Spanish made TR award.

Fakes canbe touted as Spanish pieces to try and mask the fact they are fakes so I can't add anything in terms of authenticity as I don't know.

The ribbon is either made in Spain or a modern made piece, you will need to compare the weave with other Spanish ribbons.

I have to say it does look to be in remarkably good condition and if it weren't for the typical mounting arrangement it would be easy to dismiss as it being a poor reproduction.

I hope a few more members can chime in!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The soldering job on the suspension ring looks amatuerish at best and the medal is obviously painted front and rear. I would like to know more about these 'Spanish' awards before laying down the cash for one.

Asp
    ?

More plausible that this is ordinary medal with renewed paint coating, at best. I don't believe that the surface might be stored with such gloss like just tarred.

if its Spanish why is the wording german.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    if its Spanish why is the wording german.
    Because it is a Spanish-made version of a German medal. (If it is real.)

German WW2 awards and decorations were manufactured in Spain both during and after the war. The demand came from former members of the Spanish "Blue Division" as well as veterans of other nations who had fought on the German side and moved/fled to Spain and, eventually, from collectors.

The design of the awards and decorations was unchanged, as the original versions - Swastikas and all - could be openly sold and worn in Fascist Spain. However, the quality of the Spanish-made examples was typically inferior to that of the German-made ones.

(See here for examples of Spanish vets wearing their medals: 1957 german award owners )
    Last edited by HPL2008; 06-26-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks for the comments. I know that this piece has raise a lot of questions if it is original or not due to the low quality and craftsmanship. Besides this, not many have actually seen one. Hopefully someone can add some more information.

/Jonas

Asp
    ?

Jonas,
    The medal looks very suspicious. If see on places without paint, there seems light-coloured metal, that is uncharacteristic for ordinary medals. Is medal magnetic?
    Besides it, would be interesting to estimate hardness of black painted surface. Seems that it is soft particulary on obverse.
    Regards,
    Alex

thanks HPL.that answered that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast