Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal

Article about: Sorry Adrian, I have no idea what the 'annexation' medals are in German. This was among several cool things I found at a local antique shop today. The asking price is \\$300. I can't afford it

Default Re: Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I have no idea about the Flower War medals and obviously better photos of them would be very helpful. As Ade says, to have all three awarded is unusual, I've never come across this before and is it unusual to just have an EK2 for company? I have no idea, maybe if the recipient was killed shortly after perhaps.
    You will need to post some pics of the back of the bar too, it might be a made up grouping.
    Anyway, onto the EK2. This is an interesting one. It is a Schinkel cross by an unknown maker commonly referred to as the the 'Halbschinkel' or Half Schinkel. These are quite rare and probably worth the $300 by itself. I would like to see better photos so I can match the beading to my example but the dates are an absolute match, see below. If you can, try and save the money!
    WOW! I thought it was shaped kind of 'slenderish'! Now you guys have me excited!

I looked around to find Memel Medals for sale but I can't find any. Does anyone know what these are going for?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal
    P
    Many

As said, the set is unusual with all three of those, and I've not seen them
    together before either, but for the Schinkle it would be worth it to me.

The Memel alone sells today for an average of $350 in bronze,
    ( seen at 'emedals' ) and somewhat less in zinc, which this
    one may be - Pics are a bit fuzzy.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I went back today and got some better pictures, as promised. Let me know what you all think!

By the way, I forgot to take a picture of it, but the Memel medal is one piece. I examined the edge of it and found no 'seam'.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal   Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal  

Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal   Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal  

Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal   Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal  

Medal bar: EKII, Czech and Austrian Annex medals, and Memel medal  

?

I hope someone who knows about the construction of these medalbars can advise if this one looks correct and if the Memel medal is good with the strange patterns on it. The EK2 is definitely a good and rare example of the 'Halbschinkel' and worth the asking price alone IMO.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree, Adrian.

A couple of things about the Memel medal that I noticed - besides the mottled
    finish - is that the reverse strike is very weak, and also the edge or rim is
    thicker compared to the few of others I've seen, or even the other
    two alongside it. Maker variation, or just my poor vision ?

I too hope that someone can advise, as it would be a great buy.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Another puzzle is the height the EK2 is hanging? Surely the bar would've been put together with all the medals hanging level? It may be coming apart, I don't know but look at photos of medalbars being worn and you will see the awards are in line.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The EK2 has come loose, as they should all be level.
    Not hard to fix/re-attach though.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I agree, Adrian.

A couple of things about the Memel medal that I noticed - besides the mottled
    finish - is that the reverse strike is very weak, and also the edge or rim is
    thicker compared to the few of others I've seen, or even the other
    two alongside it. Maker variation, or just my poor vision ?

I too hope that someone can advise, as it would be a great buy.........
    Good points Wolfie, here's a thread with what I believe is a genuine Memel medal. The reverse strike on the one Mo's looking at does appear weak compared to this one, then again it might just be the glare on his photo, I dunno really.

My collection WWII (German medal & badges)

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Would you say it looks the same, but different metals ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Any other opinions on the Memel Medal?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast