Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?

Article about: Hello, all. I am not sure about the authenticity of this mother's cross and I think the Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross is probably a repro since they are rare but I'm not sure. If any

Exclamation Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?

Hello, all. I am not sure about the authenticity of this mother's cross and I think the Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross is probably a repro since they are rare but I'm not sure. If anyone can help with these two medals it would be great!

Many thanks,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?   Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?  

Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?   Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?  

Attached Images Attached Images Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?  Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?

The KVK is bad. These are silver.

The Ehrenkreuz der Deutschen Mutter I don't like. At first glance it looks "OK" but I have concerns about the enamel work. A better photo taken in natural daylight might help.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Mother's Cross in bronze and Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross with Swords: Authentic pieces?

Ade, I saw your reply to Adam. I am still learning and hope this isn't a stupid question. I can understand the Knights Cross being faked but why would anyone fake the Mothers Cross? I thought they were fairly common and inexpensive. Thanks, John

Hi John, they have been faked for over 25 years now.

Never fall into the trap of thinking that relatively low value is a safety net against fakes. Even humble tinnies are faked now. Once you could collect these without fear of copies.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The KVK is bad. These are silver.

The Ehrenkreuz der Deutschen Mutter I don't like. At first glance it looks "OK" but I have concerns about the enamel work. A better photo taken in natural daylight might help.

Cheers, Ade.
    I agree with Ade on the RK KVK, a poor copy, soft details and overall a poor quality cast.
    I wouldn't discount the Mutter Kreuz just yet, it would be good to see the enamelling in natural light but I don't dislike it from these pics.
    Can you post better photos?

Thanks for the help, guys. Apparently the mother's cross was already sold so I couldn't get another pic in natural light. I have posted 2 other medals (winter war and another mother's cross) in a new thread to judge authenticity. The new mother's cross looks okay, but I have doubts because it is coming from the same dealer.

Thanks, Ade...I was definitely starting to fall into that trap of thinking no one would bother faking lower-value items like the tinnies. It's amazing how many bad pieces are being peddled out there!

Best,
    Adam