Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

My favourite campaign shield: Kuban

Article about: Hi Guys, I have always been fond of this design, with it's "Art Deco" styling. I was very happy to buy this one, because it has been worn and removed from a tunic. This award has b

Default My favourite campaign shield: Kuban

Hi Guys, I have always been fond of this design, with it's "Art Deco" styling.

I was very happy to buy this one, because it has been worn and removed from a tunic.

This award has been well reproduced and some care has to be taken if buying one. Note the type of backing paper used on this example. Several different makers produced this award.

Institued on 21st September 1943 for all members of the German Forces who fought in the Kuban bridgehead. The award was given for:

60 days service in the bridgehead

Having been wounded during that service time

To have fought in one major engagement there.

The Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine could also be awarded the shield via a points basis. Their shields came on either Luftwaffe or Navy blue backing cloth.

Each man would recieve 5 examples in order that all his uniform tunics could be decorated.

Men who were KIA were postumously awarded the decoration with their family being given the award and citation.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My favourite campaign shield: Kuban   My favourite campaign shield: Kuban  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My favourite campaign shield: Kuban
    P
    Many

Default Re: My favourite campaign shield: Kuban

Like many awards, small lapel pins could be bought privately for wear on civilian clothes. A soldier would have to prove his entitlement to the award before a purchase could be made.

This example was hard to photograph due to it's small size. It measures just 12mm x 15mm.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My favourite campaign shield: Kuban  

Very nice Adrian , i hope to get one of these sometime , soon i hope . Tell me have you ever heard of a Starlingrad sheild , theres one for sale over here but iv never seen one or heard they existed, cheers Raymond

Hi Raymond, thanks for the nice comments.

The "Stalingrad" Shield was designed on paper but then Hitler changed his mind and decided not to award it. So any seen today are actually fantasy items.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the info Ade , i thought it was strange id never seen or heard of it before , ya learn something new everytime on the forum , cheers Raymond

Love the detail!!! thanks

Mine is unmarked but I think it might be a Deumer?

My favourite campaign shield: Kuban