Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My new Olympia Erinnerungsmedaille

Article about: by daniel1234 The second class one is the larger ribbon variation without a clip. Mine is another variation with smaller ribbon with the clip. That's correct, i was getting mixed up due to m

Default My new Olympia Erinnerungsmedaille

Hello all,
    here is my new olympics medal, what do you think of it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	olympics 1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	321.6 KB 
ID:	454424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	olympics 2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	454425
    Im looking for an a case to an 1936 olympics medal and a case to entry to austria medal. pm me If you have any spare.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: My new Olympia Erinnerungsmedaille

Well done, a somewhat underappreciated award and certainly a must if you're interested in '36 Olympiade memorabilia!
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks for the kind words Glenn,
    all i need is an original case to house it in.
    Im looking for an a case to an 1936 olympics medal and a case to entry to austria medal. pm me If you have any spare.

?

So is this a silver medal that would have been awarded to someone who won second place. Or as I like to say 1st loser!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice medal, i really need one in my collection. I've always been intrigued how untidy the lettering is on these.
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

@AZPhil This is for People they work by the Games.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So is this a silver medal that would have been awarded to someone who won second place. Or as I like to say 1st loser!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Its not one awarded for being involved in the sports, this is something i have seen on info pages, a quick copy and paste.
    Some 54,900 persons received this medal which was instituted on 31 July 1936. The award was established to recognize services rendered in connection with the preparation and execution of the 11th Summer and 4th Winter Olympic Games in 1936. The award was not restricted to German nationals on the reverse is the inscription: “FÜR VERDIENSTVOLLE MITARBEIT BEI DEN OLYMPISCHEN SPIELEN, 1936” -- “For Meritorious Cooperation in the Olympic Games, 1936.”

Name:	800px-Olympiaehrenzeichen_1936.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	454449

Well you learn something new every day, the medal posted is a second class award, the medal on the right is first class.
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post

Name:	800px-Olympiaehrenzeichen_1936.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	454449

Well you learn something new every day, the medal posted is a second class award, the cross is first class.
    The second class one is the larger ribbon variation without a clip.
    Mine is another variation with smaller ribbon with the clip.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Nice medal, i really need one in my collection. I've always been intrigued how untidy the lettering is on these.
    Hi Gunny,

The reason the lettering is of a slightly 'untidy' appearance is that it was hand chased into the original die and not done using stamp letters or machinery. This is one of the key points to look for in an original. If the letters are in neat rows and uniform, beware! The last letter 'E' in "Verdienstvolle" is also a good tell. Note the longer middle line in the horizontal lines of the letter, that's a sign of a good 'un, fakes are all the same length.

On the obverse, always look for the circular lines within the rings, another good sign that fakes don't possess, and how the bottom loop of the number '9' doesn't quite join the downward line, another sign of a genuine piece that the fakers have missed.

There are other red flags like a scrawny neck with a pigeon's head on the eagle and often signs of casting flash on the rim, even if filed off, that should not be there.

These pointers show Dan's is a good original medal, and very nice too!

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast