Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Narvik shield

Article about: I have a gut feeling this one is an original at least by the patinated looks of it. Please can anyone verify my thoughts. According to the seller it used to be part of the John Spiltstead co

Quote by Jan View Post
    I bought the shield, I will post better pics when I have it in my hand. Thanks a lot for your input. I hope the discussion will continue!

Best, Jan
    Awesome Jan. Please post more clear and better pictures when it s in hand. Trust me between David and I we come to some conclusion, I have the utmost faith in his knowledge and ability. Best regards.

Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Narvik shield
    P
    Many

?

Hello to all guys

In my opinion from this first and only pic the Narvik look to be a Low 4 FAKE !
    Need a perpendicular view and other pics
    The material is another red flag because the original Narvik shield were only made of CupAl, zink, tombak and irosheet, never did in brass

About the maker, from what i know, the only know is Deumer but is only attribuited because some type of Narvik and Krim shields were found on Deumer paper board with other badge like CCC that deumer never did them..... so only attribuited

What are the proof for connect some kind of Narvik to Juncker?

Best regards
    Nicola

Jan
    ?

Thanks Nicola, what excactly is a Low 4 Fake? I agree that the shield has some interesting issues to it which need to be cleared out. Personally I dont think this shield is made of brass... the colour of the patina might also be the patina of aluminium if the shield was deposited (for instance) in wet soil. I have agreed with the seller to be able to cancel the purchase if Ithink this one is a fake.

Best,

Jan

Jan a low 4 fake would be where the 4 is smaller or lower in comparison to the 0. Which is difficult to determine from the picture angle. Nicola the Juncker reference was made in a previous post. There is alot of misconception in regards to these awards as well as the other campaign shields. As David pointed out they are difficult to authenticate. The tip of the four seemed slightly rounded when I initially assessed it but again picture quality and angle make it difficult to discern. The brass aspect was from cited book reference. As stated I could not verify the accuracy of the information. This post from another forum may also be of some help. Best regards.

Brian

LUFTWAFFE NARVIK SHIELD - Germany: Third Reich: Wehrmacht Medals, Decorations & Awards - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Narvik shield

From this thread

Narvikschild

Brian...That is a "Gentleman's" forum ? I wonder if I know any of these guys ?

What I gathered from reading the 2 page thread...I don't think anyone knows what they are talking about. This is fake, that's fake, back & forth. Guess IMO, the only way to be sure is finding one with provenance & that will be difficult.

I myself am done with them. I bought one & it was deemed fake. Now I am thinking.."Maybe it was a real one" ?

Anyway...great job Brian of finding that thread. I had given up.

Quote by Jan View Post
    Thanks Nicola, what excactly is a Low 4 Fake? I agree that the shield has some interesting issues to it which need to be cleared out. Personally I dont think this shield is made of brass... the colour of the patina might also be the patina of aluminium if the shield was deposited (for instance) in wet soil. I have agreed with the seller to be able to cancel the purchase if Ithink this one is a fake.

Best,

Jan
    From what I know...they were not made of aluminum. Cupal is a combination of aluminum & copper pressed together & many are showing signs of splitting after 75 years. If it is cupal & was buried in wet soil, it would be in very poor shape & the aluminum would be separating from the copper.

Well David if anyone here belonged on a gentleman's forum it would be you my Rico Suave friend. I came across that thread/forum some time ago as I have gone back and forth over these particular awards ,it s certainly understandable getting frustrated by them. Really it's quality detailing imo that sets them apart. I ve searched countless threads in regards to good bad short 9, short 4, Floch fake so on. For me on this award the prongs look good the detailing looks ok as said it has honest age and wear, THEN there are concerns the swas looks irregular and the nose of the 4 looks soft BUT my gut wants to think it's photo quality and angle. You yourself my friend knows what a difference that can make. I know to err on the side of caution is the smart thing to do, but my optimism sprang anew from that HR thread; that's about as longshot a story as they come and it turned out legit, Doug has since deemed it the holy cow ring a fitting name. If Jan has a money back guarantee I say see what it looks like in hand and or ask for better straight on photograhs in good light before we call time of death. It's an intriguing piece and I think it worthy of discussion. Here's a typical small 4 fake imo with the vertical striations in the metal attributed to Floch.

Narvik shield

In addition too, I'm starting to lean towards Jan's opinion of it not being brass. If you look directly under the edelweiss it looks to be the start of what resembles zinc pest?

Narvik shieldNarvik shield

Also evident on the prongs

Oh, I noticed all that. To me just a form of oxidation any metal could show signs of that. But if you are thinking zinc....why the odd color of the badge ? Zinc does not turn gold or bronze or whatever color this is. It just starts to deteriorate which this shield really has little signs of that. It still holds full detail.

I am not convinced it is real from the amount of experience I have, I had said previously I don't like it & still don't. Maybe Brian more pics would help ?

I don't pretended to be a metallurgist however I did do a little picking and came across these explanations

Narvik shield

Also it's unlikely but could be anodized zinc but that s a stretch. Yup better pictures are a must.

Brian

I have to agree with Nicola. Cupal, zinc, Tombak, sheet metal or whatever he called it. The fakes I bought a couple years ago were made of a brass material. They were admitted fakes from Coys collection & bought for $20 at the show in Nashville because it looked nice. I can post pics of it if anyone cares to see

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast