Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Narvik shield

Article about: I have a gut feeling this one is an original at least by the patinated looks of it. Please can anyone verify my thoughts. According to the seller it used to be part of the John Spiltstead co

Jan
    ?

Default Narvik shield

I have a gut feeling this one is an original at least by the patinated looks of it. Please can anyone verify my thoughts. According to the seller it used to be part of the John Spilstead collection. As I know nothing about this kind of a collection I would appreciate any info on this too

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Narvik shield   Narvik shield  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Narvik shield
    P
    Many

Hey Jan just a bump. I think the shield is good also. The detail is very nice and crisp, the aging as you say is convincing. The prongs look good on the reverse and zinc pest on the backplate looks natural. I would compare it to this previously discussed example. If possible can show a more straight on shots when time permits? Thanks in advance. Best regards.

Brian

Narvik Shield help needed

Narvik shieldNarvik shield

I don't know what the shield is made of. It's not zinc, & it does not look like cupal. Looks like it is made out of brass ?

It maybe a good one, but I don't like it

Hey David I was thinking brass or bronze too which I thought they did for navy personal, but as this resource says early examples were made of stamped brass; can't verify how reliable the information/resource is though.

Narvik shield

Credit: World War II German Battle Insignia
    By Gordon Williamson

Could be...but I never heard of them being made of brass. But I only refer to one reference book, & discussions with dealers they were either tombak, cupal, or zinc.

The zinc backplate is irrelevant, these have been matched up & switched around for decades. So that is not a deciding factor.
    So.....don't know.

95% of the navy Narviks are zinc. Cupals are rare...Tombak rarer.

The jury is out my friend. I ll keep digging and see if I come up with anything conclusive.

I will too. Problem is....some of the best badge "Gurus" have difficulty with Narvik shields. Especially Navy ones. Reason being supposedly 7-8 makers of them, no markings to identify maker. Plus the fact that so few were issued & probably not many produced

Absolutely David. Each campaign shield has their own little "tells" and I can't remember them all. I ve read on here in a previous post only Deumer and Juncker were known manufactureres? I based my comparison off of Deumer design because to me it looks to have the area between the head and wings filled in. But too that's why I'd like to see a straight on picture. It's a good discussion with a great mind! I ve found previous threads that went unanswered on these shield inquiries without a conclusion and didn't want this one to go the same way. It may be in vain but send out the NED light commissioner Gordon!

Narvik shield

Someone needs to Photoshop Sgt Shultz face on that symbol

I has showed John T. a navy Narvik at last years Max. I gave him the badge to vet for me, well over an hour later, phone calls, emails, reference material, he told me it was good. So...a guy I respect much, even had a problem with them.

Yes, the Ned issue is disturbing. If I had his knowledge on badges....well I would still be here.

Jan
    ?

I bought the shield, I will post better pics when I have it in my hand. Thanks a lot for your input. I hope the discussion will continue!

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Narvik shield  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast