Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Narvik shield narvikschild ???

Article about: Hello what are your thoughts on this shield? I have been looking around I cant seem to find anything that matches it I know nothing about these shields thank you for your time and help Tony

?

Default Narvik shield narvikschild ???

Hello

what are your thoughts on this shield?
    I have been looking around I cant seem to find anything that matches it
    I know nothing about these shields
    thank you for your time and help
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01183.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	700686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01184.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	700687  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01187.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	700688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01188.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	700689  

Name:	DSC01189.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	700690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01190.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	700691  

Name:	DSC01191.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	700692  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Thumbs down Narvik Shield

Hi Tony,
    You have to be very careful with Narvik Shields and this example is a piece of junk! The biggest give-away besides what it is made of and the finish is the blobby #4 in the 1940 date, along with the detailing to the edelweiss and the eagle and wreath are all wrong too.

Here is an early example of a Kriegsmarine Narvik Shield in my collection. It is an early tombak example by Juncker compare it to the fake that you posted.

Regards,
    Jody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JBShieldNARVIK01_final.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	700782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JBShieldNARVIK02_final.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	700783  

?

Hello Jody

thanks for the help and info
    much appreciated
    Tony

I believe this KM shield is a fake of the well known "small 4" type of which there are several variations, this being one of the better ones. Besides there being the problems with the numerals, and the serifs on both them and the letters, which are very soft in definition as well, the anchor and rope are also incorrect.

It should be borne in mind that this is the most copied of all the campaign shields by far, and some are poor, but others are pretty good, this one being in the latter category, even down to being made from the correct buntmetal material for the type it's copying. It appears to have been scratched at sometime by a dealer/collector to see if it's solid buntmetal rather than just plated. All in all close, but no cee-gar.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Jody View Post
    Hi Tony,
    You have to be very careful with Narvik Shields and this example is a piece of junk! The biggest give-away besides what it is made of and the finish is the blobby #4 in the 1940 date, along with the detailing to the edelweiss and the eagle and wreath are all wrong too.

Here is an early example of a Kriegsmarine Narvik Shield in my collection. It is an early tombak example by Juncker compare it to the fake that you posted.

Regards,
    Jody
    Hi Jody,

Beautiful shield you've got there. I know these were once 'accredited' to Juncker, but at the time it was not proven, has the consensus changed due to new findings? I know these were produced in buntmetal/tombak, and also cupal, the double strike noticed around the numerals and letters is often found on this makers Narvik shields, and it's nice to see that yours has this unfakeable flaw that is only found on originals. Excellent.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.