Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Need info! Please help fellow collectors!!!

Article about: Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my question. I have recently put together a collection of authentic WW2 medals from 8 major countries. I recently purchased a bronze Nazi 1939

Default Need info! Please help fellow collectors!!!

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my question. I have recently put together a collection of authentic WW2 medals from 8 major countries. I recently purchased a bronze Nazi 1939 War Merit 2nd class cross (without swords). The medal is missing the welded loop that the ribbon loop would connect to. Its completely broken off and missing. I am also missing the ribbon loop, but I have retained a original ribbon. So I am looking for an original or reproduction loop to weld onto the cross and a ribbon ring. I hope this makes sense and that you can help steer me in a productive direction! All I can find are expensive complete originals or cheap reproductions wesites and nothing about how find spare parts or how to repair broken medals. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need info! Please help fellow collectors!!!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need info! Please help fellow collectors!!!

Quote by Afisxehc View Post
    Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my question. I have recently put together a collection of authentic WW2 medals from 8 major countries. I recently purchased a bronze Nazi 1939 War Merit 2nd class cross (without swords). The medal is missing the welded loop that the ribbon loop would connect to. Its completely broken off and missing. I am also missing the ribbon loop, but I have retained a original ribbon. So I am looking for an original or reproduction loop to weld onto the cross and a ribbon ring. I hope this makes sense and that you can help steer me in a productive direction! All I can find are expensive complete originals or cheap reproductions wesites and nothing about how find spare parts or how to repair broken medals. Thank you.
    i don't think you can get spares unless you go into a professional jeweller who may do it be it would cost more to do that than to buy another and it will downgrade the value if you change it imo i would leave it and get another medal you can usually get them for about £25-£35

Quote by kingtigertank View Post
    imo i would leave it and get another medal you can usually get them for about £25-£35
    Agreed.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for the speedy replies. I will not do anything half ass to deface the medal. I am a professional! Lol. I am not to worried about the price going down but I completely understand your point. It does look good just as it is, although I'd still love to see the original ribbon attached. I am excited to see more replies, I will consider all possibilities. Anyone else?

?

Hello and Welcome to the forum.
    The only possibility I would consider has already been mentioned. These crosses cost very little money and can be found almost everywhere. Spare rings do not. Therefore there is little sense in spending the time to find something that doesn't exist when you can pick up a complete cross with ribbon in ten minutes.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Im still very noob in collecting. Came across a few good deals recently on ebay. Funny how people mispelling items on eBay limits the exposure to buyers, I found a Korean War era Legion of Merit for $15 (seller spelled it Ligion, lol) only 1 other buy bid on it. I also bought a WW1 Russian st. George Cross in Silver with original brooch ribbon (mislabeled listing) got it for under $9 shipped. Havnt seen one going for under $400!!!! Last night I picked up a really mint WW1 Iron Cross from a veteran estate sale. Cleanest authentic one I found on ebay, it was listed with a starting price of $55 so I think it got passed over by most potential buyers. I snagged it for $69 shipped. What kind of medals do you guys collect? How many do you have? I have found out to identify properly before buying... (like cuban cigars) My first 2-3 purchases were listed under original period items (1941-1945) but they ended up being fakes or reproductions.

ebay isn't really the place to buy authentic medals of any sort especially german i would post some pictures here to see if they are original

?

Quote by Afisxehc View Post
    Im still very noob in collecting. Came across a few good deals recently on ebay. Funny how people mispelling items on eBay limits the exposure to buyers, I found a Korean War era Legion of Merit for $15 (seller spelled it Ligion, lol) only 1 other buy bid on it. I also bought a WW1 Russian st. George Cross in Silver with original brooch ribbon (mislabeled listing) got it for under $9 shipped. Havnt seen one going for under $400!!!! Last night I picked up a really mint WW1 Iron Cross from a veteran estate sale. Cleanest authentic one I found on ebay, it was listed with a starting price of $55 so I think it got passed over by most potential buyers. I snagged it for $69 shipped. What kind of medals do you guys collect? How many do you have? I have found out to identify properly before buying... (like cuban cigars) My first 2-3 purchases were listed under original period items (1941-1945) but they ended up being fakes or reproductions.
    Until you gain experience, please ask here before you spend any money. It's easy to get ripped off if you don't know what you're buying. Ebay is not the pleace to buy genuine militaria unless you know what you're looking at. If in doubt - ask! There is no shame in asking but there is in confessing to losing money, why take the risk? Everyone here will help you and advise you in any way they can.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by kingtigertank View Post
    ebay isn't really the place to buy authentic medals of any sort especially german i would post some pictures here to see if they are original
    Im primarily on an iphone so I dont think I can post photos. I do know ebay's not the place to find the authentic german stuff. My first purchase was a joke. The iron cross wasnt 3 piece, silver, iron, or ribbed!!! Lol wtf! The guy is selling that garbage all day long on ebay. The new one I found is marked 800 on the ribbon ring. I'll try to post photos. I have had good luck buying quality ww1 & ww2 Chinese, Russian, French, British, & American on ebay.