Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need Opinion/Advice on Medal Group

Article about: An older militaria collector of 50 years that I know has decided it was time for him to retire and start moving his collection. I am a collector of U.S. militaria and medals and just recentl

?

Default Need Opinion/Advice on Medal Group

An older militaria collector of 50 years that I know has decided it was time for him to retire and start moving his collection. I am a collector of U.S. militaria and medals and just recently aquired the German medals seen here. I know next to nothing about German items so I need some information as to what I have. And no, my friend even though he was a long time collector, didn't study or research anything he had so while he has a general idea on some things he can't help me very much. He has boxes full of German stuff, headgear, medals still in boxes, badges and pins. I will be buying it a little bit at a time. Anyway, I did some web searching on these particular medals and this is what I came up with.

Left to Right

WW1 Iron Cross
    Knights Cross w/Swords of the Hohenzollern House Order
    WW2 Service Cross 2nd Class w/o Swords
    Hindenburg Honor Cross for Combatants
    25 Year Long Service Award

On the back of this grouping is a tag that reads Louis Kase,Stettin Schulzenstr.10. Would this be the name of recepient?
    Also, may I ask what the value on this group would be? Not for resale but just for my information as I gave $200 for it.

Thank you,
    Josey

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Opinion/Advice on Medal Group
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need Opinion/Advice on Medal Group

thats a nice one i think you got that one for a steal! i would bet that is the name, if it's a named piece that adds to the value

You definatley got that for a steal.. and if he has more of this stuff and he's gonna let it go for cheap.. then your very lucky

Regards,
    Finn

correction: i think the tag on the back is a the maker, not sure though, weird that the eagle on the second medal looks tilted

?

Yea I noticed too that the center piece was crooked. Maybe that part got knocked off and got put back on wrong.

The tag is indeed the maker and his address, and this bar could be worth between $500 and $1000.

Strange that the lozenge is skewed and possibly put back in place incorrectly, as Josey mentioned.
    This will have an impact on the value.

There could be a maker mark somewhere on the rim of the Hohenzollern medal, or on one of the
    swords, or even on it's ring, and/or a silver content mark.

$200 really was a steal...............!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

On the bottom arm along the bottom edge it looks like 388 W is stamped there.

Thanks for all the input on this group.

Josey

Hi Josey, and welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify: the tag on the back of the medal bar was not strictly speaking the maker, but was the retailer of the bar. This would most likely be a military tailors/outfitters. You would take your awards there and have them mounted onto the medal bar.

Cheers, Ade.

?