Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need some opinions on two Flugzeugführerabzeichen...

Article about: by Stewy S Hi Ade,you see this sort of "shrinkage" on SHuCo '41 ISA's & some other zinc awards. It's something that can happen to molten zinc when it cools. Stewy Interesting.

?

Default Re: Need some opinions on two Flugzeugführerabzeichen...

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Hi Ade,you see this sort of "shrinkage" on SHuCo '41 ISA's & some other zinc awards. It's something that can happen to molten zinc when it cools. Stewy
    Interesting. I haven't seen this before, can you post any more examples of this on other awards?
    Do you think the wreath is zinc? I was looking at it being tombak, I'm sure the eagle is tombak, zinc eagles have different trimming/finish to the outer wing feathers.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need some opinions on two Flugzeugführerabzeichen...
    P
    Many

Of the pair, the one mentioned was the closest to being genuine. I still do not like the detailing on the eagle's head(or the spread feathered wing tip),for example, and the aforementioned irregularities to the wreath surfaces on the reverse. I can see, however, where it could possibly be the signs of molten zinc cooling, but it my opinion, the flaws far outweigh the benefits for this badge. The silvering to the wreath is totally lacking and the mess by the missing pin catch is awful in appearance. At best, you could restore this badge with a replacement catch, but you would still end up up with a questionable put-up job of little value with small chance of any future value increase. The wreath on the reverse at 4PM seems to have a crack in it also and the swaz doesn't look to be in much better condition. If it Is genuine, and I still don't know if I totally agree with it, this badge has seen God only knows what, to end up in this pitiful condition and is not much more than barely collectable, in my opinion. There's Many more out there that look much better for not all That much money! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi guys

As far as I'm concerned - pilot /observer is obvious fake.
    Pilot badge - classic set up for FLL zinc and buntmetal badges , proper rivets and pin. Wreath is zinc , the eagle buntmetal.
    I think this badge is original - with very poor strike of the eagle ( pittings on the reverse, quite week details ).

Example of shrinkage of zinc while cooling down - as per my attachment ( left side of the wreath).

Thanks
    Flieger23

Quote by Flieger23 View Post
    Hi guys

As far as I'm concerned - pilot /observer is obvious fake.
    Pilot badge - classic set up for FLL zinc and buntmetal badges , proper rivets and pin. Wreath is zinc , the eagle buntmetal.
    I think this badge is original - with very poor strike of the eagle ( pittings on the reverse, quite week details ).

Example of shrinkage of zinc while cooling down - as per my attachment ( left side of the wreath).

Thanks
    Flieger23

Typical SHuCo '41. Thanks for posting. Stewy

?

Thanks for showing the photo Flieger, a good reference for this manufacturing defect. Very different from the pitting of poorly cast fakes badges.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

A bronze SHuCo. With same shrinkage marks.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...n-bronze-7235/
    Stewy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2