Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New Year Projects.

Article about: In the new year I hope to find myself a bit more time and to use it by producing a few articles for the benefit of the forum. My plans are to write an article on the infamous Floch fakes as

?

Default New Year Projects.

In the new year I hope to find myself a bit more time and to use it by producing a few articles for the benefit of the forum.

My plans are to write an article on the infamous Floch fakes as per several requests, to get the EK project done as I've been promising for ages and also to provide a reference article for the most common awards giving the basic backgound, award criteria etc.

If there is anything else anyone would like to see, please let's hear your suggestions. I will also request photos of certain pieces I don't have from members willing to share them.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Year Projects.
    P
    Many

Default Re: New Year Projects.

Adrian they are all very worthy projects and we will all benefit from your hard work.

If you require any support at any time please shout!!

I wish you the very best of luck

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks Adrian

Can you pay my credit card bill? That would just be fantastic!

On a more serious note, how about a comprehensive list of estimated values for orders and decoration? A buyers guide so to speak for current market values, estimated of course. Just a thought.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Can you pay my credit card bill? That would just be fantastic!

On a more serious note, how about a comprehensive list of estimated values for orders and decoration? A buyers guide so to speak for current market values, estimated of course. Just a thought.
    Hmm.

I'm always a little dubious about providing market values, especially over such a wide range of awards with so many variations within. To make it worthwhile it would need every variation of every award and be updated at least twice a year.
    On top of that, everyone has their own idea of what a piece is worth to them and it would be an almost impossible task. Can you imagine the amount of complaints I would get if people don't agree with me?

No thank you, you and the market decides the value of your collections, not me!

Wow, Ok, it was just a thought, and I guess a dumb one.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Wow, Ok, it was just a thought, and I guess a dumb one.
    I see where you're coming from but you have to consider the enormity of the task. How do you value a Pilots badge for example?

A zinc FLL badge will be around $350. A FLL badge in tombak will be $200 more. A Juncker badge will be upwards of $900 and that's not taking into account the variations of Juncker badges, the J1, J2, J3 etc. Of course, they will all have a different value compared to an Assmann badge or a GWL or a B&NL etc etc.

If you have a look at the Minesweeper Classification table there are about 80 different variants of that humble badge, most - not all - will have their own value so you could be looking at 50 odd different values there alone.

Look at the amount of Iron Crosses you can find, pinback, screw back, marked, unmarked, double marked, Ubergrosse, mini Ubergrosse, Schinkels, Round Threes, cased, uncased, mint, worn etc!

I hope you can see my point, I don't mean to come across as deliberately critical and please don't think I am but to compile a comprehensive list of values for every award sounds easy on paper but when you actually look deeper you can't just give a sweeping value over a particular award if it's to be done properly.

?

I forgot to say, if anyone wants to present an article on their particular area of interest, please let me know!

For example, Wound Badges - a brief explanation of the history, different grades, materials used, finishing techniques, award criteria together with some photographs of your badges or accoutrements. An article that covers all bases in a basic way but thoroughly.

I want to achieve a piece on each award that a newcomer to the hobby can turn up at our forum, search for a particular award, read an article and finish it with the basic knowledge of that item.

Ok I understand you're explanation, and Perhaps I didn't think it through. I apologize for that. I just know from my own experience I come across a badge while I'm out and about and the seller asks me to make an offer, and some badges I have no idea. And a lot of times the seller isnt offering to wait around while i take pictures and post them for opinions. Thats why i thought a ballpark list would be good to have. Example, a Junker pilot badge in tombak, mint condition goes for a range of between $ ___ and $___. A west wall or eastern front medal I can figure out. A paratrooper or pilot badge I have no idea where to begin. I can price out helmets fairly well, but I do study them a lot more. Perhaps that's my downfall, lack of study, lol. I hope I explained myself a little more thoroughly, but I do understand the complexity.