Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Opinion on Ostmedaille.

Article about: The front looks ok but the reverse dosnt have the sharp details. And I dont think simple wear can explain the overall sloppy look, the sword is a good example of this. Also the letters are i

Default Re: Opinion on Ostmedaille.

The front looks ok but the reverse dosnt have the sharp details. And I dont think simple wear can explain the overall sloppy look, the sword is a good example of this.
    Also the letters are in different sizes, they are supposed to be in a straight line but here they go up and down like waves. Also the O in osten is misshaped.

I know there were alot of makers of this common medal but I doubt anyone would produce something crappy like this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2293.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	492690

So this medal is not for me...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Can anyone explain why they think the medal is fake? I know about the soft details which in my mind is down to wear but is there anything else that points to it being fake?
    I BELIVE ITS THE"experts"...as this was bought from a flea market rat who didn'y know what they had&yes its worn but right as rain...I posted a few rings before and not a kind word was mentioned except FAKE FAKE FAKE..i KNOW SO NO USE IN ARGUING W/X-SPURTS...Lets see what's pointed out as a fake.HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!

Just of note my three "good" examples all have some "imperfections" re the lettering on the Reverse.
    These awards were mass produced on short notice by a large number of manufactures which could explain some of the imperfections and variations in the finished product.
    A bit soft (maybe wear as stated) but has a chance.
    All the best
    Dave

I would be interested to hear theories on how this 'wear' would be achieved given that these awards weren't actually 'worn'. Most of us should be well aware that only the ribbon was worn sewn to the tunic while the medal was often sent home to Mutti.

?

It's had seventy odd years to get worn. Just because it wasn't worn during the war doesn't mean it has had an easy life since then. It doesn't have a ribbon and looks like it's been knocking around in a box of odds and sods. If it was in with alot of other similar items clanking about it would wear quite easily. Imagine loose change in your pocket. You never know, if it was awarded to a soldier he might have sewn the ribbon to his uniform and kept the medal in his pocket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12