Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

opinions needed on SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)

Article about: need your opinions (good or bad) on this medal, many thanks for your help

Default Re: opinions needed on SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)

There you go lengies, sounds like a goer There are plenty of other people giving it the thumbs up !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement opinions needed on SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)
    P
    Many

These awards are indeed controversial and seem to cause great debate.I posted one on this board not so long ago that in many ways matched perfectly this example but was deemed a repro because of its six vertical lines at the bottom at the laurel leaf instead of the excepted five.

I have also observed a light brown coloured version of this medal with very fine 'finger print' pebbling that is deemed to be original.There appears little info about these medals which does not help matters but I am led to believe there were two producers of this award..the cause of any variant in appearance...type I /type II ?

The type 1 is considered to be by Deschler, the type 2 by Petz & Lorenz/Schickle but it is also thought that a possible 3rd type was produced post war by Souval, although there is no solid proof of this as yet.

The most obvious differences in the type 1 and 2 are that the background 'stippling/bubbling/hatching' whatever you want to use to describe it, on the type 1, is a lot smoother and subtle than on the type 2. There also is a marked difference in the definition/design of the wreath binding. There are other differences, but the ones given here are the easiest to see on the small pic's above.

Perhaps Lengies can supply better photo's of the suspension ring to help answer some of the concerns already mentioned about this medal. Then perhaps there may be some agreement, as it appears that no one has anything else to add so far on any other possible anomalies than that concern which may be present to positively condemn this medal as a fake.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned

Posts 4 and 5 have given other opinions

nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Seller has posted nice clear pics on GCA forum and I am now happy the ring is good

Sorry but one cant be too sure, I have been stung with this award in the past

Nick

Hi Nick,

Post 4 is entirely incorrect yet it comes across as being factual when it's not, it's an opinion, and has no corroborating evidence to back it up. Therefore it bears little help in answering the question if this is a fake medal or not IMO.

Post 6 is in a similar vein, it also offers no evidence that the medal is fake other than an opinion with no factual evidence to back it up.

Your opinion seems to be based on the suspension ring being unbevelled, well looking at the same pic's I think it is, so better shots may help confirm yay or nay...That's all mate, i'm not having a personal dig at you, and if you think that then I apologise!

Regards, Ned.

EDIT: O.K., it appears all is well which is a relief i'm sure to Lengies and co.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Nick,

Post 4 is entirely incorrect yet it comes across as being factual when it's not, it's an opinion, and has no corroborating evidence to back it up. Therefore it bears little help in answering the question if this is a fake medal or not IMO.

Post 6 is in a similar vein, it also offers no evidence that the medal is fake other than an opinion with no factual evidence to back it up.

Your opinion seems to be based on the suspension ring being unbevelled, well looking at the same pic's I think it is, so better shots may help confirm yay or nay...That's all mate, i'm not having a personal dig at you, and if you think that then I apologise!

Regards, Ned.
    Not at all Ned, I know that

As I metioned the sellers pics have confirmed its ok

Nick

Glad you guys have come to an agreement! FWIW I thought the original images to be good simply based on the quality of construction (of course I always stand to be corrected by those 'in the know'). Then in steams poster #4 with an outright denunciation which raises hackles especially when such 'authority' usually takes years of experience to gain.

I understand Nick's reservations especially after having been burnt on one of these ( I feel your pain Nick) and of course discretion is always the better part of valour. Good luck to the OP on acquiring this piece to his collection!

better pictures of the ring provided by the seller to confirm that is a good one 100%
    and many thanks to all of you for your help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture opinions needed on SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)   opinions needed on SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre)  

Quote by lengies View Post
    better pictures of the ring provided by the seller to confirm that is a good one 100%
    and many thanks to all of you for your help
    Hi there,i stand corrected!!From these new pictures I can see the ridge on the ring clearly,the older pictures made it look flatter to me.Anyway i'm glad it is a good one,and that's confirmed by the oracle of NED!! LOL. All the best, Leon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast