Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ostfront Medaille Makers Mark? What do you Think?

Article about: Hi, more close pics of an Ostfront medal I just received. I thought the medal was unmarked, but not so sure now. The ring has 2 deep marks/cuts on one side, that could be a possible number '

Default Ostfront Medaille Makers Mark? What do you Think?

Hi, more close pics of an Ostfront medal I just received. I thought the medal was unmarked, but not so sure now.

The ring has 2 deep marks/cuts on one side, that could be a possible number 'Mis-Strike" The reason I say this, is there are No corresponding marks on the rear, like the ring would have, had it been gripped tightly with a pair of wire cutters, or similar tool.

There "are" very tiny serration lines on the rear of ring, in the exact spot where the 2 deep marks are, possibly from the part of the stamping machine that grips the small ring as it is being stamped.

It took a lot of force to make 2 marks that deep, and I wonder why no deep marks on back, just tiny serration's. It also could be a pair of jewelers pliers, cutters of some type, with a blade for cutting on one side, and serrated on other jaw of plier for grip?? I have never seen a cutter/plier tool like that, but then there are many tools I have never seen. No need really for specialized tools for a tiny metal ring.

This is just my possible theory, and explanation of the odd marks. I think think if the ring has been changed or messed with, it would have different "marks and marring"

Have any members ever seen a "possible mis-strike?" like this??

What do you think?? Is this a mis-strike, or my imagination running away with me, and just someone messed with the ring, or replaced it?

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ostfront Medaille  Makers Mark? What do you Think?   Ostfront Medaille  Makers Mark? What do you Think?  

Ostfront Medaille  Makers Mark? What do you Think?   Ostfront Medaille  Makers Mark? What do you Think?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ostfront Medaille  Makers Mark? What do you Think?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Ostfront Medaille Makers Mark? What do you Think?

I cannot explain the marks, but I would not worry about them. The ring looks fine and original to the medal.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I cannot explain the marks, but I would not worry about them. The ring looks fine and original to the medal.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, thanks for ringing in. I am not worried in the least, just curious if some had one, or has seen the same thing before. Did not think the ring had been changed, and under close mag. the marks looks odd to me, maybe a mis strike.

I really like the medal either way, it's one of my favorite new items. I really like the look of these medals, especially when worn a bit. I want to find a nice worn EK2 now, and that's it for the medals for a while.

No ideas about the trident?? Why is it not Soviet, if it is Ukrianian?

Regards, Steve

Thumbs up Re: Ostfront Medaille Makers Mark? What do you Think?

Hi Killroy

An original example...

Greetz

Nick VR

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I cannot explain the marks, but I would not worry about them. The ring looks fine and original to the medal. ...
    I also think, the medal is quite OK.

The maker could be Reichspräsidial-Kanzlei "7", (Paul Meybauer, Berlin).

For comparison:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ostfront Medaille  Makers Mark? What do you Think?  

Ost is good as already said. Don't know what to make of the marks though. Stewy S

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    No ideas about the trident?? Why is it not Soviet, if it is Ukrianian?

Regards, Steve
    Hi Steve, we are going off at a tangent here Some of the other guys won't know what we are on about. But Ukrainian Nationalism was not something which the Soviets encouraged at all. This emblem was most likely something made and worn 1941 to 1944.

Cheers, Ade.

OKW
    ?

Could it be from the machine that turned a straight piece of wire into a ring?

Quote by Reibert View Post
    I also think, the medal is quite OK.

The maker could be Reichspräsidial-Kanzlei "7", (Paul Meybauer, Berlin).

For comparison:
    Hello Reibert, thanks, Yes the medal is a good one, otherwise I would not have bought it Thanks for pic of your number 7. It does look very similar. I was thinking mine could be a "11" maybe a 6.

Regards, Steve

Quote by OKW View Post
    Could it be from the machine that turned a straight piece of wire into a ring?
    Hi, very good point, it could be that also.

Regards, Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast