Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ostmedaille/

Article about: Gents, This is the one and only Ostmedaille that resides in my collection. So, with no stamp to be found on the suspension ring, I've decided to utilize the database that another member was

Default Ostmedaille/

Gents,

This is the one and only Ostmedaille that resides in my collection. So, with no stamp to be found on the suspension ring, I've decided to utilize the database that another member was gracious enough to provide a link for and do a little investigating on my own as to whom I believe the manufacturer was. With looking over various characteristics these medals possess i.e.: various shapes and styles of eagle heads, beaks, feathers and talons and also noticing the serifs and medal outline positioning in relation to the hand grenade and helmet, I'm led to believe this medal was made by the firm: Julius Maurer, Oberstein.

I truly must say that with looking over the various manufacturers' unique characteristics and styles, I could see myself collecting more of these. Shame on me for only owning one for all of the years I've been collecting.

So, in closing, I look forward to those who have more than I and are more knowledgable with these to let me know if I'm correct.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ostmedaille/   Ostmedaille/  

Ostmedaille/   Ostmedaille/  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ostmedaille/
    P
    Many

Hello

Ahh.. yes I agree, these are nice to collect.
    Glad you took the time to search for yourself, the only way to learn.

But I am sorry, you were close but not entirely right
    This is not a OM138 / Maurer, but a OM/98 /Souval.

OM14 and OM98 are the only ones with hollow leaves on the back.
    If you look closely you see the OM98 leafs are a little "thinner" than of the OM14 and matches your medaille well.

/Sindri

Sindri,

Thank you so much for the clarification and no apology is needed my friend. I'm grateful for your time and explanation in making these ever more interesting to collect!

Regards,

Joel

Everybody should have at least one. Nice medal !!

Wonder how many of these were issued ?

real steel,

I'm not sure on the count that were issued. However, I'm with you that they should be in every WWII collector's medal case.

Some excellent information about the variations.. In my ignorance I never paid much attention to the details of the medals. I think I may have 3 or 4 of them, which now I will have to examine closer to see what I have..

Thank you for all the information.. I look forward to looking closer at the Ostmedailles in my collection...

Will update after I do some research..

Smitty

Smitty,

Keep us posted!

Think mine is tombac or a metal other than zinc. The helmet & rim around the circumference of the medal is shiny.
    Would like to see yours Smitty or at least hear about them.
    D.

?

Hi Joel
    I have to agree with you, the data base for these is incredible and really opened my eyes up to this medal. I've had the one I posted the other day since I first started collecting. I've since brought another one which is on the way as we speak. I've always loved the design of this award and now I have fallen for it even more.
    Another thing is I found it really fun and rewarding trying to identify it, something I'm trying to get to grips with on the EK front.

I must say a massive big THANK YOU to Sindri for his work on this database, you've really helped promote this award and lifted it up in my opinion.

Ken

Quote by real steel View Post
    Everybody should have at least one. Nice medal !!

Wonder how many of these were issued ?
    Hello

Its estimated around 2.500.000 - 3.000.000 where awarded, postmortem awarded included.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast