Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Question re Demjansk shields

Article about: Is it conceivable that a serifed J might be found on an original Demjansk shield?Respectfully,Steve M

?

Default Question re Demjansk shields

Is it conceivable that a serifed J might be found on an original Demjansk shield?Respectfully,Steve M

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question re Demjansk shields
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Question re Demjansk shields

Can anyone provide an answer to Steve's query?

Has anyone got a Demjansk Schild they can post?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Steve, do you have a pic of the item in question?

Personally, I doubt it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I've just done some very quick research and I can find a certain type of fake that is known as the 'serif J' fake. This has a pronounced serif on the J.
    I have also seen some shields called original where the J does have a very small point coming off the back where the serif is to be found but is not as pronounced as the fake type.
    So, from my brief foray into shields this morning I would say that it is possible to find original shields with a small back point that have been called original but it is extremely generous to call it a serif. Any shields with a large, obvious serif are fake.

So if you have one in mind, please post it for comparison.

Any opinions from the shield guys would be welcome to clarify or correct as needed.

Here is my Demjansk but I don't think it will help with the serif 'J' question much.

Question re Demjansk shields

?

Thank you Glenn, definitely a non 'serif J' shield!

Question re Demjansk shieldsQuestion re Demjansk shields Here's my one,it has I think the "small" serif J,and is the zinc type that was considered a fake until the 70's I think. Around that time I was told information to the contrary came to light and they are now regarded as period. Leon.

?

Thanks so much for your input.Everyone seems to agree that there are no original Demjansk shields with a clearly serifed J.I certainly respect your expertise.There just seem to be so many out there e.g.,Guide to Third Reich Awards,Third Edition,Forman,p77,55b (attributed to R.Bender,whom I understand was a believer in the the serifed J specimen) and Combat Medals of the Third Reich,Ailsby,p99.There also is what appears to be one on the website of a highly reputable dealer,although I could be mistaken.Makes for interesting study,i.e., the significance of the curved prop,the "rarity" of zinc specimens,the 6 log , the Floch fake etc.Does anybody know just how the serifed J became established as a fake?Just trying to learn.Thanks again,Steve

?

Quote by Snoman View Post
    Does anybody know just how the serifed J became established as a fake?
    That's an interesting question, does anybody know the answer?

When I was looking up those shields I found the 'serif J' examples were known about as fake over the last few years but I don't know when anyone actually came out and identified them as fake. I hope someone can answer this one.