Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Repro Deutsches Kreuz in Gold? Would like opinions...

Article about: Hi all. I've never handled an older reproduction German Cross, but I have handled several originals. To me, this one has several inconsistencies with the originals that I'm familiar with, bu

?

Default Repro Deutsches Kreuz in Gold? Would like opinions...

Hi all. I've never handled an older reproduction German Cross, but I have handled several originals. To me, this one has several inconsistencies with the originals that I'm familiar with, but I still would like some second opinions before dismissing it.

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Last edited by rbminis; 01-26-2016 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Repro Deutsches Kreuz in Gold? Would like opinions...
    P
    Many

Hi Darren,

This is a fake based on the 4 rivet lightweight Deschler. The wreath and number shield design are completely wrong (what are those 2 berry like flaws doing at 3 o'clock?), as is the poorly enamelled swastika. On the reverse side, although the set up is a reasonable copy, the maker mark is at best questionable and the rivets are incorrect. Note also how in the last photo, the poorly finished wreath minus the necessary notches top and bottom of the date shield has paint from the red ring of the silver centre plate daubed all over it.....Not a good sign.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned. I didn't notice the 3 o'clock flaws, nor did I catch the paint, good eye! A couple things I did notice is the hook on the reverse; it is incorrect for this maker as well. The hinge is also too narrow. The wreath is what first caught my eye though. The detail is horrible. Having said all of that, to the untrained eye this is actually a very good copy that would fool most. I may make a bid to buy it as a study piece. Any idea how early this reproduction is (around what year it was made)?

This thread is a lesson for me as I have not specialized in collecting decorations in a long time.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hi Darren,

The reverse catch appears from the two pic's it's shown in to be of the correct design for the lightweight badge, in fact it defines it by being set on a recessed circular base plate. Of course better angled pic's would probably show any dissimilarities. The actual time frame of when this badge first appeared would be hard for me to pin down precisely, but mid to late 70's early 80's would be my guess.

Here's a genuine (polished) Deschler DK lightweight showing the recessed catch plate from a similar angle as above.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks for posting the photo Ned. You're right, the catch is the correct design, but a repro is still a repro (albeit a nice one). What is really sad is that this, along with a few other awards, were purchased in the 90s by a gentleman who passed them along to his grandson. He purchased them as a set that was said to have been awarded to a well know U-boat commander, solely based on the sellers word. Now I have to tell the poor guy that his grandfather bought a set of fakes (the other items are also suspect).

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)