Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ribbon bar 3

Article about: Hi chaps, One thing I'd like to know, are the swords on ribbon bars all meant to be the same or different lengths etc? Cause I've seen some with different length swords on the same ribbon, s

Default Ribbon bar 3

Hi chaps,

One thing I'd like to know, are the swords on ribbon bars all meant to be the same or different lengths etc? Cause I've seen some with different length swords on the same ribbon, so wondering if that is basically down to the producer?

Also are there any tell-tale signs for ribbon fakes?

Any views on this one I have picked up below? Does the material on the back mean anything to anyone? I.E. for a military uniform or civilian dress or would it have been personal choice of the wearer?

Thanks,

Rich.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ribbon bar 3   Ribbon bar 3  

Ribbon bar 3   Ribbon bar 3  

Ribbon bar 3  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ribbon bar 3
    P
    Many

?

The swords do vary in length on ribbon bars, buttonholes etc. There doesn't seem to be a specific set of measurements they makers had to abide by and the length of such swords should not be used to decide if they are fake or real.

In this case the ribbons are for the Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwerten and the Deutsche Olympia-Erinnerungsrnedaille (1936).

I don't think the choice of backing material is in relation to uniform or civilian wear. The colours vary from black to blue to grey to green and I expect many other hues as well.

Tell tale signs of fakes can be anything from modern fake ribbons being used, ribbons in the wrong order, obvious signs that two bars have been joined, obvious signs the backs have been tampered with, needles and clasps from the modern era or in a style not used during the TR, the list can go on..............

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

You have the war merit second class for military and Olympic ribbon. Looks real to me. Generally speaking, larger sword devices were for larger full size ribbon bars. I have seen a mixture of sizes too in both ribbon bars and devices. Fake ribbons are usually made with modern material that has a shinier look than the period type. Backing cloth might be red or black or white for larger bars and you often see matching colors for uniforms. Examples include brown for political, blue/grey for Luftwaffe, green for army etc. These are my observations. If other have more info that would be great to see. NH