Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ribbon bar - EKII, long sevice, Sudetenland + bar

Article about: This one is also soon on its way down under - a nice 3 spot ribbon bar featuring an EKII ribbon, a Luftwaffe long service award ( ? years ) and a 1st Oktober medal with Prague castle bar. No

Default ribbon bar - EKII, long sevice, Sudetenland + bar

This one is also soon on its way down under - a nice 3 spot ribbon bar featuring an EKII ribbon, a Luftwaffe long service award ( ? years ) and a 1st Oktober medal with Prague castle bar. No way of knowing who he was ( and obviously the EKII award was after the Sudetenland one being re-introduced in 1939 ) but its a nice little trio I think.

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ribbon bar - EKII, long sevice, Sudetenland + bar   ribbon bar - EKII, long sevice, Sudetenland + bar  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ribbon bar - EKII, long sevice, Sudetenland + bar
    P
    Many

?

Hi Dan,
    What makes this bar neat is the addition of the Prague bar. My friend has the medal bar that matches it.

Jody

?

Nice pickup. I saw a set containing the long service medal with the Sudentenland medal with the Prague Castle Bar for sale not to long ago, would have gone nicely with those

Quote by Danmark View Post
    This one is also soon on its way down under - a nice 3 spot ribbon bar featuring an EKII ribbon, a Luftwaffe long service award ( ? years ) and a 1st Oktober medal with Prague castle bar.
    I can't positively identify the color (or original color) of the eagle device on ribbon for the Luftwaffe long service award, but as it is the only armed forces long service award on the bar, it should be the 4th class, i.e. the award four years.

If higher grades were awarded, two of these were worn together. The combinations were:

• 3rd class (12 years) & 4th class (4 years)
    • 2nd class (18 years) & 4th class (4 years)
    • 1st class (25 years) & 3rd class (12 years)

Interesting that the 1st & 2nd, or 2nd & 3rd, or 3rd & 4th weren't worn together. Do you know the reason why the combinations 'skipped' a class?

Nice bar Dan

I collected a few EK2 bars on the way, you have just tempted me to get some more

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images ribbon bar - EKII, long sevice, Sudetenland + bar  ribbon bar - EKII, long sevice, Sudetenland + bar 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Interesting that the 1st & 2nd, or 2nd & 3rd, or 3rd & 4th weren't worn together. Do you know the reason why the combinations 'skipped' a class?
    The 3rd & 4th actually were worn together (please see my above post).

As for the other two combinations, this was surely due to aesthetic/stylistic considerations.

The 4 classes were:

• 4th class = medal, matt silver
    • 3rd class = medal, bronzed
    • 2nd class = cross, silver
    • 1st class = cross, gold

So, combining the 2nd with the the 4th class and the 1st with the 3rd class both resulted in the wearing of the combination of a cross and a medal. In both cases the decorations - as well as the eagle devices on the ribbon bar - were in similiar/harmonizing colors (silver & matt silver, gold & bronzed).

Thanks for that Andreas! ... and Yes Nick, they are addictive and not too expensive for those collectors with limited pocket money.

Here are a couple more I have that combine BOTH world conflicts ...... not sure why there is a swords device on the EKII ribbon though??????

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ribbon bar - EKII, long sevice, Sudetenland + bar   ribbon bar - EKII, long sevice, Sudetenland + bar  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Dan

The swords device is on a KVK ribbon not an EK2

Nice bars !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Allow me to add my humble assortment of EK2 bars.

Iron Cross of 1914:

• Top row: Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse/Bayerischer Militärverdienstorden or Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz [= MVO 4th class, MVK 1st, 2nd or 3rd class; all shared the same ribbon]/Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer/Tiroler Landesdenkmünze.
    • 2nd row: Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse/Hamburger Hanseatenkreuz/Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer - ditto - Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse/Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer.
    • 3rd row: Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse/Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer - ditto.
    • Bottom row: Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - ditto.

It is worth noting, though, that the same black-and-white ribbon was also used for other Prussian war decorations. However, due to the sheer number of the EK2s awarded in WW1, in the vast majority of cases, it does represent the EK2.

Iron Cross of 1939:

• Top: Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse/Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse mit Schwertern/Ostmedaille/Dienstauszeichnung der Wehrmacht 4. Klasse [ribbon device for army and navy].
    • Middle: Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse/Ostmedaille/Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 13. März 1938/Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938.
    • Bottom: Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse/Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse mit Schwertern/Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer - Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse.

I particularly like the one in the middle, with the EK2, winter campaign medal and the medals for the Austrian- and Sudetenland annexations. The combination of four ribbons that are all in the same colors plus the traditional "Bavarian" fold make for a rather pleasing combination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast