Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: Ok this one looks very dubious lol ..No makers mark, quality not good..and if im right its the wrong pin? ..Although i have found some sites claiming these to be type 1, but those sites look

Default Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen

Ok this one looks very dubious lol ..No makers mark, quality not good..and if im right its the wrong pin? ..Although i have found some sites claiming these to be type 1, but those sites look even more dubious opinions welcome as always
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07208.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	748953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07209.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	336.0 KB 
ID:	748954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07210.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	748955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07217.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	748956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07218.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	748957
    Last edited by rbminis; 10-05-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Hi wizardman,

That's a cast reproduction of the S&L 1st pattern zinc S-Boat badge with the "o" mark above and slightly right of the catch. The faker attempted to duplicate the round sheet metal hinge that does appear on S&L badges.

But aside from that fake, even the S&L badges themselves are controversial. As Gordon Williamson has often noted, a large quantity of the "o" marked zincers with the round hinges appeared on the market in the U.K. in the 1970s and it's unclear if these were post-war assembly or simply a hoard of wartime leftovers (see attached example). They are the most common 1st pattern S-boats around. Less common are the ones of the same design without the "o" mark and different setup (second example attached). It's nice to think that this may be S&L's wartime production but we simply cannot know for sure. But at least we do know from original wartime correspondence that S&L ordered the dies for their 1st pattern S-Boat from Paul Wissmann in Pforzheim.

So for now, whether they have the "o" mark or not (and most do), we tend to call them S&L zincers of "wartime compatible" construction but unknown period of production, and they're sort of the "poor man's S-Boat".

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S_L_1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	748992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S_L-2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	748993  

Very informative mate..thanks I should mention i got this one in the mid 70s...so the timeline fits in

I certainly cannot add a word to what Norm has said, spot on and detailed as ever! All I will add is that it is a one look cast fake from me too. Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

awful is all I can say.

?

Hello,
    I agree with what Norm has said. I actually bought one of those zinc S-boots by S&L from a veteran around 1975 for $10 (so I tend to believe in them).

Jody

Below is a photo of my collection in 1980 of a few of my things (I was 15). You can see the S-boot in the picture. It is crazy I owned an RK des KvK with out Swords before I owned a 1st class version.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JBCollectionfrom1980.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	749169  

Oh, the sands of time! Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway