Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........

Article about: Gents my new pick up, a post war Souval made Azad Hind neck order "Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India" with swords. The Grand Star "Sher-e-Hind" (Tiger of India), was a neck ord

Default The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........

Gents my new pick up, a post war Souval made Azad Hind neck order "Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India" with swords.
    The Grand Star "Sher-e-Hind" (Tiger of India), was a neck order award and could be conferred with swords for valour in combat, and without swords for non-combat awards. At least one award was made, to a Captain Kunwal Singh.
    Original WW2 pieces and some post war made orders featured the "R.Souval Wien" marking on rear disc, not marked on this one, it has a blank disc glued on ! mind you early blank core EK's from this firm were glued together ! so this was reflected in the price I paid.....some collectors say, that is an indication of post war re-strike by Souval, some, that he simply ran out of marked discs and attached blanks ! It is a Souval made piece, made up to and beyond 1961, what is known is that British Army red caps confiscated the dies for this award from the Souval premises post war, but only took the reverse die !
    A good looking award with nice long period piece of ribbon, which does not glow under black light test.
    The Azad Hind decorations were instituted by Subhas Chandra Bose while in Germany, initially for Azad Hind Legion, to be awarded for gallantry in the field of battle. Both Indians and Germans were eligible for the decorations. Later, the same awards were instituted by the Azad Hind government for the Indian National Army during its campaign in South-east Asia.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........   The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........  

The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........   The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........  

The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........   The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........
    P
    Many

Nice award, i have always had an interest in these. Would you know how many were awarded.

?

Hello,
    I agree it is a post-war piece. Years ago I had a Souval marked piece. It is an interesting award.

Jody

Quote by robin morley View Post
    Nice award, i have always had an interest in these. Would you know how many were awarded.
    Robin, I have researched these awards for some time, this particular award is best explained in this text, courtesy of GMIC, credit and thanks to its author Ed Haynes.... "Established 1942, though the first documented award came only in 1944. Awarded to soldiers in the Indian Legion or Indian National Army or civilians, already in possession of the Sardar-i-Jang medal for additional or ongoing acts of bravery (with swords) or distinguished service (without swords). In this sense, the award was generally patterned on the German Iron Cross. This decoration carried with it an annual stipend of 300 Indian Rupees when awarded with swords. It is estimated that only about one hundred of these decorations were manufactured in Europe; South-East Asian manufacturing has not been established.
    To understand the award better, a sample recipient would Naik Kehar Singh (presumably an award with swords, but the citation does not specify this):-
    On the 18th of May 1944, a unit of the I.N.A. was picqueting a hill in the central sector of the Indo-Burma frontier. Of those on duty, Naik Kehar Singh was one. On an early morning the enemy made an unprecedented pre-planned attack on our picquet.
    One of his comrades, who was working a light machine-gun against the enemy was fatally wounded by enemy fire. He signaled to his comrades to come and occupy his machine-gun. But the man who was to relieve him had already been shot dead by enemy fire, Naik Kehar Singh was witnessing all this from a short distance. He made a spontaneous decision, with the enemy firing uninterruptedly, but caring not for his own safety, he rushed through the pouring bullets to occupy the machine gun post. By the time he reached the post, the enemy had approached him to as close as ten yards. With a smile on his lips, Kehar Singh picked up the machine gun and resting it against his hip opened fire on the enemy who were shooting at him with tommy guns, neglecting the enemy fire, Naik Kehar Singh went on working his own machine gun, so much that the enemy had to retreat.
    The medal as well as the others, were also awarded to German (and, one presumes, Japanese) officers and others involved with the Indian Legion and Indian National Army. For example, the famous late German Dr. K.-G. Kleitmann was awarded the Sher-e-Hind with swords. It is estimated that only perhaps twenty-five Sher-i-Hind medals were awarded, including two awards for Southeast Asia".
    It is to be remembered that only Rudolf Souval had the contract from the Free India commitee to produce the Azad Hind range of awards.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........   The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........  

Attached Images Attached Images The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........  The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........  The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award.......... 

Gents, arrived today, now in hand and with a £90 customs fee !!!!
    Beautiful award, workmanship and enamelling is outstanding rivals St u L early work (PLM's) still worth what I paid out including the Queens bit !
    Enjoy....................
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Sher-e-Hind/ Tiger of India. Azad Hind neck award..........  

EEK! Sorry to hear about you getting stuffed by Customs. But it is a great item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!