Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spanienkreuz in Bronze mit Schwerter

Article about: HI gents Thinking of picking this one up after Christmas, would like you views on it. As always Thanks Morris

Question Spanienkreuz in Bronze mit Schwerter

HI gents

Thinking of picking this one up after Christmas, would like you views on it.
    Spanienkreuz in Bronze mit SchwerterSpanienkreuz in Bronze mit SchwerterSpanienkreuz in Bronze mit SchwerterSpanienkreuz in Bronze mit Schwerter

As always Thanks
    Morris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Spanienkreuz in Bronze mit Schwerter
    P
    Many

Default re: Spanienkreuz in Bronze mit Schwerter

Hi,this could be a varient but all the spanish crosses i have seen have had at least two of the arms on the swastikas "cut out".The only one that would not be cut out is the one attached to the eagles feet.There also seems to be a bit of an ill fit for the pin to the mount,there is quite a gap in there on either side of the pin.Just my opinion but i do not like this one. P.S. Those birds look a bit to fat to me,more like pidgeons than eagles!

Me neither - don't like it at all. Look at the two different grip patterns
    on the swords. Is it just the lighting........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Its on regimental for 850 AUD. Just checking thanks for the opinions. regimental states

"An excellent example, non maker marked, of the Spanish Cross in Bronze with swords. Excellent pebbled detail within the arms of the Maltese Cross, plus within the central circlet. Good in-depth detail to the early droop tailed style Luftwaffe eagles. Wide tapering pin to reverse side. The whole award retaining its original bronzed colour."

Morris

Hi,why would the eagle have been a droop tail? The spanish cross was'nt instituted untill 1939 by which time the new eagle design was well into use.Also no other spanish crosses that i have seen have the droop tail eagle.As i said before this may well be a varient but i think i would wait for one i was 100% sure of for that kind of money.

I have just had a look on their site,this is a well respected dealer in the UK but i still do not like this cross!They also have another one which is an un-marked one as well.The only difference being the eagles are as you would expect(not droop tails,cut out swastikas and a better reverse hardware set up!)Oh and it's £300.00 more expensive!!!!Says it all in my opinion.
    Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Its on regimental for 850 AUD. Just checking thanks for the opinions. regimental states

"An excellent example, non maker marked, of the Spanish Cross in Bronze with swords. Excellent pebbled detail within the arms of the Maltese Cross, plus within the central circlet. Good in-depth detail to the early droop tailed style Luftwaffe eagles. Wide tapering pin to reverse side. The whole award retaining its original bronzed colour."

Morris

Actually, I like this cross better than the more costly one being offered. The pricier one has almost no detailing on the eagles while this example has decent details. If asked, I would say that this piece is genuine, but not very well finished-no cut work on the swastikas, etc. The droop tails are a variant I've seen before, but why they never cut the swastikas is a minor mystery. Personally, I would wait and find a decent marked silver or gold grade, rather than invest a heavy bit into a bronze of questionable workmanship.
    Sadly, these expensive badges are now being seriously eyed by the fakers and they are beginning to show up more and more often-and some of them are of fairly decent quality. Regimentals is, however, a very reputable outfit and would, I'm sure, offer a full return in the event of any problems.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

This one is bad. Droop tail eagles = bad.

Also note the pin, same as used on 57 pattern awards.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: Spanienkreuz in Bronze mit Schwerter

Hi,i agree that this dealer is a reputable source,but that said i still feel this is a fake cross,but as you have said they would offer a no quibble returns policy from here.

Default Re: Spanienkreuz in Bronze mit Schwerter

I agree on the pin being of a later style-most Spanish Crosses had a fat belly pin, but as for the droop tail eagles, this exact point has been the subject of many a lively debate on the much-dreaded "other forum" for several years now, and some quite credible opinions on both sides of the coin have been called. Is just yet another solid reason to not invest in such a controversial badge. The fakers get better every year....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast