MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish blue division volunteers medal - broken in post - ideas..

Article about: Hi everyone, I received a medal from Spain today and the guy sent it in a little pack with no proper protection. The end resulted in the pin to be broken, and this bugs me as I spent near \\$3

?

Default Spanish blue division volunteers medal - broken in post - ideas..

Hi everyone,
    I received a medal from Spain today and the guy sent it in a little pack with no proper protection. The end resulted in the pin to be broken, and this bugs me as I spent near $300.
    Would it be an idea to have it fixed?

In the photos you'll find that a jeweller can easily fix the bar and pin. The stitching and the construction where the pin is incorporated into the medal seems relatively simple where someone experienced in this field could replicate it using old white thread. The ribbon appears to be rolled in a sequence that should make the task relatively easy.

Opinions?
    Cheers!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish blue division volunteers medal - broken in post - ideas..   Spanish blue division volunteers medal - broken in post - ideas..  

Spanish blue division volunteers medal - broken in post - ideas..   Spanish blue division volunteers medal - broken in post - ideas..  

Spanish blue division volunteers medal - broken in post - ideas..   Spanish blue division volunteers medal - broken in post - ideas..  

Last edited by callum; 07-28-2014 at 03:23 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Spanish blue division volunteers medal - broken in post - ideas..
    P
    Many

?

It will take a light touch with a small hand torch and lead solder to reattach the pin. Few jewelers even have, let alone use lead solder. Good luck on your repair project friend.

?

Are You or do You know of any one who has a good soldering iron and a steady hand?They should be able to repair it for You.

Should not be too hard to fix.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

MAP
    ?

Nice Medal! Shame that happened. There is a "cold solder" tool that might be an option. I had an early version....(never got the hang of it), but have been told that if used right, the tip cools off almost immediately. Might help if you are working on such a delicate items along with the ribbon so close.

there is a newer version out since I last bought mine many years ago.....ColdHeat | Home They say it's good for jewlery so might be worth a try.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)