Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR medal

Article about: Hi everyone found this its meant to be a Spanish Civil War Condor Medal, its reasonably priced, i was wondering if anyone could help me out with authenticity of it please? its comes in wax p

Default SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR medal

Hi everyone found this its meant to be a Spanish Civil War Condor Medal, its reasonably priced, i was wondering if anyone could help me out with authenticity of it please? its comes in wax paper and its box as pictured, any help is appreciated as always
    regards
    James

SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR  medalSPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR  medal
    SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR  medalSPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR  medalSPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR  medal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR  medal
    P
    Many

very nice,but they were made at least all through Franco's period if not still for vets.

I agree with Harry.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I've always thought this to be one of the most beautiful awards designed...
    cheers, Glenn

James, 100% original Spanish Civil War campaign medal 1938...............Decree 192 of the State Government (Nationalist Franco's) of January 26, 1937 (Official Gazette. 99), made from 1938 well into the 1990's by a number of Spanish medal makers, the one you show is by EGAÑA Industries, in a box of simple cardboard, the medal its self wrapped in an oiled plastic wrap. EGAÑA started production 5th May 1938 and were based in Mutriku (Motrico, Guipúzcoa), military emblems/award manufacturer since 1870, the factory was moved to Eibar in 1972, where it remained until it closed in 1991.
    Two versions of the medal awarded, distinguished by the outer colour on the ribbon edges, black for front line/combat troops and green for non combat personnel.
    The design of this medal is attributed to a Captain D. Aurelio Martinez Perote.
    Design............circular medal, 37 mm in outer diameter, 3 mm thick.
    Front:- Gold Laurels with, in black, a rising sun in the upper quadrant that illuminates a lion, representing Spain fighting a dragon which has a hammer and sickle, representing communism, and the inscription "17 JULY 1936" in the upper left quadrant, with Gold cross on black background.
    Back:- A Gold coloured victorous eagle in flight on a black background on which are the coat of arms of the Spanish Catholic Monarchs, the yoke and arrows (a symbol of unity) and a war helmet, with inscriptions "ARRIBA ESPAÑA, GENESSMO FRANCO, VICTOR, UNA GRANDE LIBRE IMPERIAL ML.HSP.GLOR." (acronym for -A Greater Glory of Spain, in Latin), in black and Gold.
    Medals manufactured by Industrias EGAÑA, have the EGAÑA signature above the Laurel between sunlight, medals made by other makers will show their name in the same position.
    A stunning looking medal, note the typical "Spanish" medal mount...........
    Prost ! Steve.

?

That is a great looking medal!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you for your help guys ill see how i go knocking the price down a bit first, thanks for your help i appreciate it

ASR
    ?

Hello,

This is medal for service in the Spanish Civil war, they were made with two ribbon pipings: Black -as this example- for front line service and green for rear echelons service.

The good news is that they are period (so if you can use it for a Legion Condor display is OK). The bad news is that vast quantities were stockpiled by the government, presumably for a mass delivery in a public act... something that never happened... so unused stcoks -specially from this manufacturer, Egaña- are not difficult to find in Spain. Every militaria dealer may show you four or five unissued examples.

Very nice, original award

The medal themselves come in 2 types ... one has what looks like a hot air balloon in the space below the suspension ring and one (like yours and mine) doesn't.

SPANISH CIVIL WAR GERMAN LEGION CONDOR  medal

Both seem to appear on wartime medal bars

Cheers, Ian.