Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre).

Article about: This is one of a series of postings regarding medals my uncle brought back from Germany after the war. I believe this is a Long Service medal for the SS (8 years). I have two of these. Inter

Default SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre).

This is one of a series of postings regarding medals my uncle brought back from Germany after the war. I believe this is a Long Service medal for the SS (8 years). I have two of these.

Interesting that neither has a loop for ribbon but maybe these weren't worn that way?

Regards,

Pat
    Last edited by Adrian; 03-13-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre).
    P
    Many

Default Re: Long Service (8) to SS

It looks original but strange the suspension ring is missing

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Default Re: SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre).

It would've been suspended from a blue ribbon.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Details look soft and the pebbling appears faint, not an example I would be comfortable with.

I agree with Glenn...terrible poor details-even to the large runes. There looks to be a line glob to the right at 3 O'Clock of the large runes inside the wreath as well. I would definitely pass on it if offered.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the feedback. My uncle, a major in the Allied occupation forces, brought this item and others back from Germany in 1945. He entered the country a few weeks behind the combat troops. Probably obtained in Munich, Heidelberg or another city in southern Germany. Where were these minted? Were they being forged as early as 1944?

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Please look closely at this genuine type 1 (Deschler/Schickle) 8 year medal. I've posted yours on top and the type 1 below in each case of both obverse and reverse views. Please bear in mind there is no allowance allowed for any differences whatsover if the medal you posted is also genuine.

Regards, Ned.

Obverse.

SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre).SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre).

Reverse.

SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre).SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre).

Opinions anyone...???
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

SWEET medal Ned, is this yours??

I note the 5 notches at the base of the wreath on the OP example are practically non-existant, surely this must be a cast copy?

For comparison, here is my 2nd type...SS-Dienstauszeichnung 3.Stufe (8 Jahre).

Looks pretty poor compared to the original!...

Not my medal unfortunately!

Note the differences in the thickness of the rim of the two awards. The lack of sharp detail on the letters and wreath compared to the genuine piece, as you point out, but the really obvious difference, and the part they never get right, is the background stippling/hatching. It's easier to see on the first pics posted by Pat, where you can zoom in and see the difference. It's very coarse on his example compared to the other one.

Just looking at the distinct variance in the overall 'crispness' and quality between the two medals indicates to me the difference between a die struck original and a cast copy.

It's all in the details.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast