Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking

Article about: Hi all, I'm looking into purchasing a fairly salty Auxiliary Cruiser Badge, but am concerned about the markings. This badge is marked "26" which is an unknown mark to me. Perhaps s

Default Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking

Hi all,
    I'm looking into purchasing a fairly salty Auxiliary Cruiser Badge, but am concerned about the markings. This badge is marked "26" which is an unknown mark to me. Perhaps some of the badge experts out there can lend me a helping hand.
    Thanks, Jake

Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking
    Last edited by rbminis; 09-02-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking
    P
    Many

The PKZ number 26 was used by B.H. Mayer, but the hardware on this single limited photo doesn't remind me of any rear set ups they used so I would be very wary of going anywhere near this one. Perhaps Martin or Norm might chip in if they're still around.

BTW, it's always best to post both obverse and reverse pic's of any award or badge you want verifying as the above photo doesn't give anyone much to go on at all to be honest.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned,

Further pictures, as requested:
    Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer MarkingStrange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer MarkingStrange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking

sorry pics not clear enough.

I'd like to see better pictures too but from what i see it looks like a so called "flatback",a type of badge that is now attributed to Rettenmeir..
    Questions remain as to whether these badges are late war or possibly postwar ?

No idea as to the "26" stamp on the reverse and it is definately not a Mayer piece IMO.

Regards,Martin

Quote by martinw View Post
    I'd like to see better pictures too but from what i see it looks like a so called "flatback",a type of badge that is now attributed to Rettenmeir..
    Questions remain as to whether these badges are late war or possibly postwar ?

No idea as to the "26" stamp on the reverse and it is definately not a Mayer piece IMO.

Regards,Martin
    I agree entirely with you Martin. The catch made me think Rettenmaier, and the hinge now confirms it, it's the identical classic rear hardware set up that was also used on their "flat back" Panzerkampfabzeichen. The distinctive lined pattern seen on the reverse of the badge is also indicative of this maker, I think you have it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I must admit that I have never seen one like this before so I have learnt something new (again)! The award itself looks good, but the 26 on the rear is a mystery to me. Leon.

Hi Leon,

well i collect Hilfskreuzer awards and i have one of these "flatbacks" in my collection.

I think they are worth having.

I think the spurrious 26 mark on the reverse may have been added later to increase value,hard to say ??

Here is the one i have and a very rare L/18 marked zinc Mayer for comparison.

Cheers,Martin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking   Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking  

Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking   Strange Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer Marking  

Quote by martinw View Post
    Hi Leon,

well i collect Hilfskreuzer awards and i have one of these "flatbacks" in my collection.

I think they are worth having.

Here is the one i have and a very rare L/18 marked zinc Mayer for comparison.

Cheers,Martin.
    Beautiful award Martin, a fine looking piece. How many Hilfskreuzer are you now up to? Leon.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm still a bit confused as to whether the consensus is that the badge itself is of the period. I take it its an original piece but with added postwar markings?

Thanks again,
    Jake

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast