Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)

Article about: Gentlemen, I have come across these three badges while traveling in mainland Europe, and I was hoping I could get some expert opinions regarding their authenticity. Any response would be gre

matt170
    ?

Default Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)

Gentlemen,

I have come across these three badges while traveling in mainland Europe, and I was hoping I could get some expert opinions regarding their authenticity. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    MDB
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)   Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)  

Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)   Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)  

Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)   Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)  

Attached Images Attached Images Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)  Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)  Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.) 
    Last edited by Adrian; 06-20-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Anti-Partisan, E-Boat, Observer)

I'm fairly confident to call all three of these as fakes.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)

Fakes sorry.

Default Re: Three Badges: Real or Fake? (Schnellboot, Bandenkampf & Beobachter.)

I whole heartedly agree with both Adrian and Chris, fakes indeed.

Jay

matt170
    ?

Thanks for all your quick responses. I was suspect of this group and, fortunately for me, did not pay much for them.

If I may ask, what gave them away, and would you recommend any particular publications as references? (Sorry, I'm sure this is obvious for some, but I am new to the hobby and eager to learn)

?

Quote by matt170 View Post
    If I may ask, what gave them away, and would you recommend any particular publications as references? (Sorry, I'm sure this is obvious for some, but I am new to the hobby and eager to learn)
    Hi Matt,
    No need to apologise, the forum is here for all to learn from, seasoned collectors and newcomers alike. Don't be afraid to ask even if you think it's an obvious question - it might be obvious to some but not for all and asking helps everyone.

The main thing that gives them away is the general poor quality of finish and workmanship, the details like the pins, hinges and catches that weren't found on original badges. The way they've been made, the soft details in the design and the fact that these are fairly 'high end' badges which are commonly faked because they command premium prices. Three originals of the above will be worth several thousand pounds/dollars/euros.
    I can't personally recommend any publications for badges as I don't own any books along this line but you could try here for starters.
    Checking in on the forum will keep you up to date too as will asking about any potential purchases before you spend any money and the main thing - experience.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....