MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Todays find many Items

Article about: I can't argue with any of the above, the guys have picked out the good ones for you. Is the 25yr medal marked on the ring?

?

Default Re: Todays find many Items

I can't argue with any of the above, the guys have picked out the good ones for you. Is the 25yr medal marked on the ring?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Todays find many Items
    P
    Many

I understand kc1's concern with the bi-metal SWB badge, but I had a WW2 (confirmed rock solid) example that looked really odd. The "yellow" brass was a weird color, looked like a Christmas tree decoration, but it was legit.

Looking at the workmanship of the badge in question, and given my experience with this particular badge, I'd still say OK.

I know that the fakers are busy, but a bi-metal badge is more complex than a straight casting or stamping. Would it be worth going to all that trouble to make a badge that might be worth $10 on a good day?

PG

?

Good morning Gentlemen the first thing I will say is thank you for every ones help and no there is no stamp mark present on the ring Adrian that was one of the first things that I looked at when I got it home but I was unshur if this particular medal was stamped on the ring and or if every manufacture of this particular award did stamp the ring with there halmark as I have seen examples of other TR awards were one manufacture would do so and another would not. As to the SWB badge I have taken a box cutter and have scratched away a small section on the back side of the badge in one of the leaves and it is a brass badge that is to be shur. This particular badge I purchased more out of curiosity as I found it an interesting example and to be quite honest was unshur what it even was as I had never seen one like this before I thought it would be a nice add on to my collection. I guess it was a good thing that I did get the assurance from the dealer that he would return my money if there was a problem with any of the Items that I purchased. I do not believe that he purposly tried to sell me forgeries as we all know this can be a vicious circle especially for new collectors and dealers alike I am shur he went on the word of the person that he purchased them from and so on and so on . And there is a good chance that these would have been displayed in my collection for many years if I did not have the use of this valuable research tool and the hundreds of years of combined expertise to back it up. As to the tinnie would one of you gentlemen be so kind as to explain the signifigance of the may 1 1936 tinnie and was it awarded or was it freely given out as a keepsake piece.

Regards Mark K

?

I do have an update on the Items that I purchased on Sunday I have just been in contact with the seller and he has agreed to make amends if I can prove to him that these pin's are forgeries. So I have invited him to the forum so that he may see for himself why they were deemed as fakes.

Regards Mark K

For various reasons, the badge to the South Wales Borderers (SWB) is a restrike (repro). The Atlantic Sta would need good close up picks of the front of it to make a decision. Bear in mind that after the Air Crew Europe Star, it is one of the more commonly faked WW2 stars. Given the problems from the rest of the items I know what my initial thoughts would be.....

What are the "various reasons", Skypilot. I wouldn't want to argue with a Man of the Cloth......

PG

?

Thank you for your imput

Regards Mark K

Quote by Patgore View Post
    What are the "various reasons", Skypilot. I wouldn't want to argue with a Man of the Cloth......

PG

1. The 2 pieces have been cast separateley - no problem. Edges are very sharp/rough, typical of poor casting and finishing on repros

2. Detail on Sphinx is way too poor and light - should be much sharper and detailed, especially around the "veil" and rib area, same for the lettering in "Egypt"

3. White metal very crudely attached to "brass" part - see the bottom circle of the "B"

4. SWB lettering is merged from poor casting (S & W in particular)

5. Again, poor detail on wreath part.

6. Reverse shows slider which is very thick and untypical of a genuine badge but very common on repros. Again, shows signs of being sandcast (dimply/pitted finish)

7. The ultra bright reverse of the badge also raises alarm bells along with the sharp edges.

I'm willing to bet that the badge is also made of a very soft compound that would bend and snap quite easily. I have owned several SWB badges in the past and this one is typical of the repros that abound.

I collected British cap badges as a side line for around 20 years and sold my collection off a few years ago, mainly because I wanted the money to go towards my core interest of British medals but in part because of the increasing difficulty in obtaining genuine badges.

More than happy to be proved wrong though as I am by no means an expert, merely my opinions.

?

Maybe someone can post it in the insignia sub forum of the Western Allies section? More members who collect these will get to see it therefore give more opinions. If it does get posted there I'll edit this thread and move the posts relating to it down there.
    Thank you.

?

Thank you Adrian this by all means may be the start of an intresting new thread good day all I will check on this thread when I return from work to see how it has progressed

Regards Mark K

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast