MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U Boot Abzeichen for review

Article about: Hello All, being a new fan of u boat badges can I have some expert eyes have a look at the badge below and let me know if it is a good one. I am fairly sure that either way the badge has had

Default U Boot Abzeichen for review

Hello All, being a new fan of u boat badges can I have some expert eyes have a look at the badge below and let me know if it is a good one.
    I am fairly sure that either way the badge has had a repaint
    All the best
    Doug
    Attachment 545105Attachment 545106

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U Boot Abzeichen for review
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: U Boot Abzeichen for review

Has the hinge been replaced, repaired?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hello Adrian,
    the badge is exactly as it came.
    I have doing quite a bit of research whilst the badge has been up for review and I have concluded that it is a nice quality RS but put together with Post War bits.
    The round plate with round wire hook is just about acceptable (I prefer the flat wires) but the high rise hinge is (I think) a great pointer to being knocked up as a Tommy Souvenir.
    Are these called the flat back fakes?
    I am quite sure that these things were available back in the 60s through the Exchange and Mart along with the £20 S&L Knights Crosses
    All the best
    Doug

?

It's an interesting piece Doug, I wonder if you might take a couple more pics with a bit more light on it?

The gold finish on the reverse is why I asked about the hinge, you can see where the hinge originally was because of the gold forming the outline of the hinge plate before it was moved.

I am awaiting the arrival of it Adrian as I thought it would be a great example to have.
    I have popped another picture below and will get some better ones when it arrives.
    All the best
    Doug

Attachment 547352

Attachment 548425Attachment 548424Attachment 548423Attachment 548426So the badge has arrived and I don't see anything special about it.
    I will do a little more research in to the obverse design but I still feel as though it is a Souval piece put together post war.
    Looking very closely with a loupe I don't see any evidence of a new hinge just a spray job around the raised area that would have had a snug fitting hinge put in place but as you see this base plate on the hinge is too big for the pad.

The eagle and u boat close upsAttachment 548427Attachment 548428

?

Doug don't know much about these badges. But I do like them so thanks for the photos & info. Cheers Terry

?

I can see what you mean now. Form the original image, it looked like there was a patch of bare metal where it had been sprayed with a bigger hinge in place. I couldn't tell it was a raised area.

In my view, you're correct here in thinking it's a post-war assembled Souval piece. Apparently, it was put together with whatever hardware they had available at the time, as it is obviously not the correct hinge for this badge. It looks to be, also, as you said about being repainted at one time or another in it's lifetime. You can see in areas where it has 2 different finish colors.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast