MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U-boot Frontspange

Article about: Hello, I know I just posted a thread but this is an important post. This badge appears to be good. The dealer does not know if it is bronze or silver but it appears to be bronze to me. Opini

Default U-boot Frontspange

Hello,
    I know I just posted a thread but this is an important post. This badge appears to be good. The dealer does not know if it is bronze or silver but it appears to be bronze to me. Opinions? Thanks
    U-boot Frontspange

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-boot Frontspange
    P
    Many

It's good, and my opinion is that it is silver grade. The middle of the pin on the reverse shows a distinct patch of silver on it that would not be there if it were bronze grade. A nice clasp and a fairly scarce one. A good asking price?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Original I agree but color could be subject to light in my opinion.
    Still a nice one and it deserves clear pic in natural light.
    But William may be correct......

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Hello and thank you, however, why would the badge be bronze colored if they were only made of zinc? If it was silver and all of the finish is gone then wouldn't it be a dull grey?

The finish on a zinc badge doesn't always turn into a lead grey-it depends on the chemical reactions, the stage of the absorption, etc. I suppose the finish may be lost in different steps over time also-such as one component of the finish at a time, leaving behind whatever did Not immediately vanish until it's turn comes eventually too. Silver finish did not always mean that they were coated with pure Silver, of course. It could well Be a Bronze, but, as I said, I'm still leaning towards the Silver, as the pins are the areas that generally absorb the finish last, and the middle of that pin looks to have a silver patch area on it. Either way, with these clasps, the 2 grades are Both fairly scarce and valuable, as they were only issued less than a year.
    William

I have read that 464 bronze and 196 silver were issued. I am not sure if it would bother me owning the badge if it is a silver without 99% of the finish. The price is $975. Perhaps I should wait and spend a little more for one with most of the finish.

Actually, $975 is not a bad price-even for a Bronze. Would the seller be open to receiving an Offer? As for waiting on full finished examples, that could be a long wait, as I don't believe that I've ever actually Seen any perfect specimens of either grade. These late late war badges were of such crude materials and workmanship, most of these clasps that you Do encounter look absolutely awful-especially so the Silvers. The zinc beneath the finish is almost always furiously bubbled and everything is flaking off of them. You can barely make out what they even Are, at times, but they still bring good prices nonetheless. I was actually surprised that this one looks as good as it does!
    William

I agree, I do not need a 100% example, its just that idea of ambiguity that bothers me. You do make a valid point in scarcity. There certainly are not many examples to choose from! Thanks William.

?

Here are my bronze and silver for comparison.
    Pete

U-boot Frontspange
    U-boot Frontspange
    U-boot Frontspange
    U-boot Frontspange
    U-boot Frontspange
    U-boot Frontspange

I wait the advance collectors opinion.
    As I am not a collector of such but a admirer so this can make a great Repost...

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Zentner; 01-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast