Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen, Real or ?

Article about: My wife gave me this U-boat badge for my birthday. Supposed to be authentic from a reputable dealer in Victoria, BC. I have some doubts about it - especially what looks like 'flash' between

Default U-boot Kriegsabzeichen, Real or ?

My wife gave me this U-boat badge for my birthday. Supposed to be authentic from a reputable dealer in Victoria, BC. I have some doubts about it - especially what looks like 'flash' between the flag on the wintergarden and the hull. Can anyone hazzard a guess?
    Thanks
    Ed Collins
    Nanaimo, BC.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-boot Kriegsabzeichen, Real or ?   U-boot Kriegsabzeichen, Real or ?  

Last edited by rbminis; 11-01-2015 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-boot Kriegsabzeichen, Real or ?
    P
    Many

Hello Ed and welcome to the forum!
    I am unaware of any maker of this badge that retains the "flash" that is seen on your example. I believe this pin shape is well known on fake EKs as well.
    These are not my specialty but we have a few members that are quite well versed in marine awards. Wait for Norm or Martin, one of them will have the answer for you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hi Guys,

It's a typical zinc S&L U-Boat badge but it's been amateurishly repainted which caused that "lump" under the flag. Still a genuine badge, and a very nice thought as a birthday present!

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Thank you, Norm. It had me worried there for a while. 8-) I'll just carefully whittle the 'flash' away. Anything I should do about the overall finish?

Ed

?

Rather than any mechanical method, for this one I'd suggest an acetone bath and gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush. Not something you want to do on all badges, but on this one hopefully will do the trick. You want to submerge it and use the toothbrush just long enough to get the finish off and no longer than that, then rinse in water and dry with a cloth and blow dryer so you don't leave the badge wet.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Hi Norm;
    I'm obviously very new at this, so..... that would take it back to an fairly origional looking zinc finish- the kind you get when the gilding has worn off? Would it be sacrilege to have one of these re-gilded?

Norm;
    Silly me. The only question I need ask is - What would you do with this badge if it were yours? 8-)

Ed

?

Hi Ed,

I just noticed that your same badge was discussed on WAF here:
    U-Boat Badge Maker Please?? - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

At any rate, IF the re-finishing is soluble in acetone, then the final product should look like one of these two where the one on the left shows original gilding that has faded to silvery-grey over time and the one on the right is basically devoid of finish and shows the raw zinc base metal. You're hoping to bring it back to that kind of look. If it turns out that the finish used is impervious to acetone then there's nothing you can do about it as far as I know.

Others should provide their opinions as well to balance mine, but in my opinion it wouldn't be worse than before and possibly better. Here too is an example of a sloppily refinished F&B Minesweeper which I subjected to a short acetone bath and soft scrub -- the final result was much more natural.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-boot Kriegsabzeichen, Real or ?   U-boot Kriegsabzeichen, Real or ?  

Hi Ed, welcome to the forum!

My comments would totally echo Norm's. Nothing more to add.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Does anyone know how many u-boat badges were awarded during WW2 ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast